TikTok officially goes dark... but the banned app says 'please stay tuned' for Trump intervention

TikTok, the viral social media platform where billions created and shared short videos, has officially gone dark for US users on Saturday evening.   

The popular social media app has since issued a statement to its users regarding the abrupt shutdown that was initially to go into effect on Sunday. 

The US has passed a law that prohibits the use of the popular video sharing app, meaning TikTok is currently unavailable for use, as indicated by a message that now appears when users try to log in.

However, there is hope as President Trump has expressed willingness to collaborate on finding a solution to restore TikTok once he assumes office. Users are encouraged to stay updated for further developments.

Last year, Congress passed a law banning TikTok unless its Chinese parent company ByteDance sold its stakes by Monday.

The Chinese conglomerate, who had nine months to sell the platform’s U.S. operation to an approved buyer, had long said it would not sell.

Despite concerns raised by American officials regarding TikTok’s potential threat to national security, the app, along with some of its users and content creators, has taken legal action by filing a lawsuit in an attempt to prevent the ban.

Leading up to the app going dark this weekend, the Supreme Court ruled that the ban did ‘not violate petitioners’ First Amendment rights,’ upholding a previous appeals court ruling.

TikTok , the viral social media platform where billions created and shared short videos , has officially gone dark for US users on Saturday evening

TikTok , the viral social media platform where billions created and shared short videos , has officially gone dark for US users on Saturday evening

The popular social media app has issued a statement to its users regarding the awaited shutdown

The popular social media app has issued a statement to its users regarding the awaited shutdown

Despite the court’s ruling, Trump – who had asked the Supreme Court to delay enforcing the ban – has expressed interest in potentially reversing the court’s decision after his second term starts.

‘The Supreme Court decision was expected, and everyone must respect it,’ the incoming president wrote on Truth Social on Saturday. ‘My decision on TikTok will be made in the not too distant future, but I must have time to review the situation. Stay tuned!’

TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew - who will be in attendance at Trump's second inaugural - previously said the app was 'grateful and pleased to have the support of a president who truly understands our platform'

TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew – who will be in attendance at Trump’s second inaugural – previously said the app was ‘grateful and pleased to have the support of a president who truly understands our platform’

TikTok CEO Shou Zi Chew – who will be in attendance at Trump’s second inaugural – previously said the app was ‘grateful and pleased to have the support of a president who truly understands our platform.’

‘On behalf of everyone at TikTok and all our users across the country, I want to thanks President Trump for his commitment to work with us to find a solution that keeps TikTok available in the United States,’ Chew added. 

‘This is a strong stand for the First Amendment and against arbitrary censorship.’ 

While users cannot post videos under the ban, they still have access to their data and can download it. 

After the ban was upheld by the highest court in the land, President Biden had previously signaled he would not enforce it, leaving the fate of the controversial app up to Trump after he takes the oath of office for the second time.

Trump also intimated that he might grant a 60- to 90-day extension to allow TikTok’s U.S. operations to continue. 

Despite the court's ruling, Trump - who had asked the Supreme Court to delay enforcing the ban - has expressed interest in potentially reversing the court's decision after his second term starts

Despite the court’s ruling, Trump – who had asked the Supreme Court to delay enforcing the ban – has expressed interest in potentially reversing the court’s decision after his second term starts

After the ban was upheld by the highest court in the land, President Biden had previously signaled he would not enforce it, leaving the fate of the controversial app up to Trump after he takes the oath of office for the second time

After the ban was upheld by the highest court in the land, President Biden had previously signaled he would not enforce it, leaving the fate of the controversial app up to Trump after he takes the oath of office for the second time

President-elect Trump posted after the Supreme Court decision on the TikTok ban

President-elect Trump posted after the Supreme Court decision on the TikTok ban

While TikTok users cannot post videos under the ban, they still have access to their data and can download it

While TikTok users cannot post videos under the ban, they still have access to their data and can download it

While it was running, roughly 170 million Americans used the popular video app, which added credence to proponents of TikTok who said its use was tied to the livelihoods of millions. 

However, the ban has had bipartisan appeal across both sides of the aisle. 

Republican Senator Tom Cotton of Arkansas praised the Supreme Court for rejecting ‘TikTok’s lies and propaganda masquerading as legal arguments.’

‘ByteDance and its Chinese Communist masters had nine months to sell TikTok before the Sunday deadline. The very fact that Communist China refuses to permit its sale reveals exactly what TikTok is: a communist spy app,’ Cotton wrote on X.

After the app stopped working for users, millions took to X to voice their unhappiness.

‘The land of the free really just banned Tiktok,’ one tweeter wrote.

Another added, ‘Nothing is more American than banning TikTok before AR-15s.’

‘This sucks for those that use TikTok. The government really needs to get their priorities straight,’ a third wrote.

You May Also Like
Canada stares down consequences of Trump tariff war: Job losses, grocery price hikes, possible recession

Canada faces challenges from Trump’s tariffs: potential job cuts, higher food prices, and economic downturn

Canada is preparing for the consequences of President Donald Trump’s escalating trade…
'Oklahoma City Bombing: One Day in America': New National Geographic docuseries gives unprecedented look at tragedy

New National Geographic series explores the Oklahoma City bombing in detail

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) — Thirty years ago, the deadliest act of domestic terrorism…
Wednesday Morning Minute: Happy Liberation Day!

A Quick Update on Wednesday Morning: Celebrating Liberation Day!

TOP O’ THE MORNIN’ Red-Hot at RedState  Emotions cannot effectively govern a…
Suspected California Walgreens killer had 'grudge' against pharmacies, police say

Police indicate that the individual suspected of the Walgreens shooting in California harbored resentment towards pharmacies.

The suspected gunman who opened fire inside a California Walgreens on Tuesday…
Dirt bikes, ATVs driven around World War II memorial in Washington, DC: video

“Watch as Dirt Bikes and ATVs Ride around the World War II Memorial in Washington, DC”

People on dirt bikes and ATVs were seen driving inside the World…
Dolton, Illinois election results today: Democrat Jason House projected to replace Tiffany Henyard as Dolton mayor

Today’s election results in Dolton, Illinois: It is expected that Democratic candidate Jason House will take over as the new mayor of Dolton, succeeding Tiffany Henyard.

DOLTON (WLS) — Democrat Jason House is expected to win the Dolton…
'Star Wars: Tales of the Underworld' brings back legendary bounty hunter and former Sith assassin 

‘Revisit the Legendary Bounty Hunter in “Star Wars: Stories from the Underworld”‘

LOS ANGELES — Are you a fan of Star Wars and looking…
American Airlines plane fills with smoke as it comes in to land forcing passengers to flee cabin

Passengers forced to evacuate as American Airlines plane fills with smoke during landing

An American Airlines plane filled with smoke shortly after it landed, forcing…
Karen Schepers case: Family thanks community for help in solving 1983 Elgin cold case: 'Miracles do happen'

The Schepers Family Expresses Gratitude to Community for Solving 1983 Elgin Cold Case

ELGIN, Ill. (WLS) — The family of Karen Schepers is speaking out…
California man to plead guilty to attempted assassination of Justice Kavanaugh

California Man Admits to Trying to Assassinate Justice Kavanaugh

The man accused of planning to murder Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh…
‘Bosch: Legacy’ Season 3 Episode 1 Recap: Back in Bosch-ness

Recap of Episode 1 from Season 3 of ‘Bosch: Legacy’ – Returning to the World of Bosch

In the first season of “Bosch: Legacy,” Maddie Bosch, portrayed by Madison…
Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson announces Cook County Commissioner Anthony Joel Quezada for 35th Ward alderman pick

“Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson Endorses Anthony Joel Quezada for 35th Ward Alderman”

In Chicago, Mayor Brandon Johnson has chosen Cook County Commissioner Anthony Joel…