Two injured in shocking 'firebomb' attack on one of Australia's busiest synagogues while worshippers were inside

In an early morning incident at a synagogue in Melbourne’s Jewish community, two individuals sustained injuries in what is being described as a ‘firebomb attack’. Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has denounced the incident as a violent display of anti-Semitism.

About 60 firefighters and 17 trucks were called to the massive blaze at Adass Israel synagogue at Ripponlea in Glen Eira around 4.18am on Friday. 

Rabbi Gabi Kaltmann, a religious figure, recounted how ‘two thugs’ vandalized the synagogue by breaking windows, spreading fuel on the floor, and igniting it while worshippers were getting ready for their prayers on Friday morning.

Congregants were forced to flee the building, with two people suffering minor injuries.

‘It’s outrageous,’ Mr Kaltmann said.

Congregants inside the building at the time of the attack reported Molotov cocktails being thrown in, synagogue board member Benjamin Klein said.

‘They heard loud noises at the door and windows, following which flammable liquids were thrown inside and set on fire. The fire spread rapidly,’ Mr. Klein shared with Nine News.

‘One member who was inside ran out and had his hand burnt. For this to happen to a synagogue thousands of kilometres away from anywhere else in the world, a peaceful neighbourhood, a peaceful community – it is quite horrendous.’

The fire was reportedly started by two men who threw Molotov cocktails into the synagogue, causing widespread damage and injuring two

The fire was reportedly started by two men who threw Molotov cocktails into the synagogue, causing widespread damage and injuring two

Around 60 firefighters and 17 trucks were called to the scene in Ripponlea early Friday morning to contain the fire at the synagogue

Around 60 firefighters and 17 trucks were called to the scene in Ripponlea early Friday morning to contain the fire at the synagogue 

Hundreds of people were expected to begin gathering at the temple in the hour after the fire begun.

‘This synagogue is one of the busiest in Australia,’ Mr Klein told the Herald Sun.

‘This synagogue was built by Holocaust survivors and this just brings back terrible memories.’ 

The sanctuary contains many holy books and Torah scrolls, which had been destroyed.

‘To see it burnt and in ruins is quite horrendous to happen to a quiet community in Melbourne, Australia. You don’t expect such things to happen.’

Fire Rescue Victoria’s Assistant Chief Fire Officer Brayden Sinnamon said the 30m by 20m building was ‘fully involved’ in the fire and the blaze severity was escalated, with crews using breathing apparatus.

Victoria Police has launched an investigation into the attack.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has denounced the attack as a violent act of anti-Semitism aimed at creating fear in the community.

‘I have been briefed this morning by the AFP Commissioner Reece Kershaw, there are two persons of interest who were there,’ he told ABC Radio Melbourne.

‘What was witnessed was them using accelerant and then spreading it with a broom, clearly designed to maximise the damage that could occur.

People inside the synagogue reported hearing banging and seeing liquids being thrown, leading to a fast-spreading fire that caused panic

People inside the synagogue reported hearing banging and seeing liquids being thrown, leading to a fast-spreading fire that caused panic

The synagogue contains valuable holy books and Torah scrolls, and the community is awaiting access to assess the full extent of the damage

The synagogue contains valuable holy books and Torah scrolls, and the community is awaiting access to assess the full extent of the damage

People inside the synagogue reported hearing banging and seeing liquids being thrown before the fire

People inside the synagogue reported hearing banging and seeing liquids being thrown before the fire

‘It’s a terrible morning to wake up to this news, which all Australians should unequivocally condemn,’ he said. 

‘This is an outrage. The violence and intimidation and destruction of a place of worship is something that we should never see in Australia.’ 

Zionist Federation of Australia president Jeremy Leibler said the attack should condemned.

‘No one should be surprised; this violent attack is a direct consequence of words turning into actions. Jew hatred, left unchecked, endangers all Australians,’ Mr Leibler said.

‘Enough is enough, this is a stain on our nation. It’s time for all levels of government to turn their words into actions to stamp out this Jew hatred.’ 

The incident occurred shortly after pro-Palestinian protesters gathered outside The Great Synagogue in Sydney on Wednesday night, as members of the Jewish community were holed up inside.

The group shouted ‘Palestine will be free’ and held up a slogan calling for the eradication of the state of Israel. 

Sky News reported that when police arrived on the scene, the Synagogue was in lockdown with those inside unable to leave 

Victoria Police has launched a probe into the suspicious fire, urging anyone with information or footage to come forward

Victoria Police has launched a probe into the suspicious fire, urging anyone with information or footage to come forward 

Liberal deputy leader Sussan Ley said the incident was ‘very, very concerning’, adding: ‘It makes me feel quite sick to the stomach.’

‘I feel for the Jewish community today waking up to this news.’

The train level crossing at Glen Eira Road was blocked during the incident but has since opened.

Police have asked anyone with footage of the fire or information to contact CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000. 

You May Also Like

Woman reunites with twin sister five years after her passing during emotional meeting with recipient of life-changing double transplant

This is the emotional moment a woman held the hand of her…

US Tariffs Still Pose a Threat to the UK Economy, Says Andrew Neil

Keir Starmer’s compliance and specific pleas ultimately worked: Great Britain experienced less…

Bus Driver Reveals Details about Virginia Giuffre’s Accident Involving Prince Andrew Accuser

THE bus driver involved in a crash which allegedly left Virginia Giuffre…

Grieving families of four-year-old girl, mother, and man who died in fire at Grade-II listed house honor their memory with heartfelt tribute

The heartbroken families of a four-year-old girl, her mother, and a man…

Stocks on Wall Street plummet, causing 401(K) losses in the trillions in just minutes

Following President Donald Trump’s announcement of widespread tariffs starting at 10 percent…

Police: Former NYC Councilman Caught with Thousands of Child Sex Abuse Videos at Miami Airport

Former New York City Councilman Dan Halloran, who was previously convicted for…

Police investigating possible ‘murder-suicide’ after British couple Ben and Claire Anderson discovered deceased at their residence following relocation to New Zealand

COPS in New Zealand are probing a suspected murder-suicide after a British…

Sydney Sweeney allegedly cancels her engagement: What really happened.

Sydney Sweeney, the 27-year-old actress recognized for her work in popular series…

Val Kilmer’s lost voice in Top Gun: Maverick scenes with Tom Cruise brought to emotional tears

Val Kilmer’s final ever film role left tears in fans’ eyes as…

Jason and Kylie Kelce welcome their fourth child and share the baby’s name

Jason and Kylie Kelce have welcomed their fourth child, announcing the birth…

Mother and her 5- and 8-year-old daughters tragically killed by a driver who claimed to be possessed by evil during a collision as they were walking back home in NYC

A BRITISH mum and her two daughters were killed in a horror…

US and Israel set to launch massive attack on Iran to eliminate Ayatollah’s nuclear capabilities in long-awaited strike

IRAN’S nuclear programme should have been dealt with “a long time ago”,…