Donald Trump breaks his silence on Pete Hegseth's fight to be his defense secretary

Donald Trump has thrown his full support behind his defense secretary nominee Pete Hegseth in the face of a slew of allegations about his personal life.

The president-elect slammed the ‘fake news’ and insisted the former Fox News host’s support is ‘strong and deep’ as he battles to get the votes needed for his nomination.

The 44-year-old veteran has faced resurfaced allegations of sexual assault and claims he was drunk at work, both of which he has denied.

In meetings with senators on Capitol Hill he has vowed to stay sober if his nomination to be the Pentagon chief succeeds. 

‘Pete Hegseth is doing very well. His support is strong and deep, much more so than the Fake News would have you believe,’ the Trump wrote on Truth Social on Friday morning.

‘He was a great student – Princeton/Harvard educated – with a Military state of mind. 

‘He will be a fantastic, high energy, Secretary of Defense, one who leads with charisma and skill. Pete is a WINNER, and there is nothing that can be done to change that!!!’

‘Thank you Mr. President. Like you, we will never back down,’ Hegseth responded on X.

The embattled defense secretary nominee has been meeting with senators all week to convince them that he is the right choice.

Donald Trump has thrown his full support behind his defense secretary nominee Pete Hegseth in the face of a slew of allegations about his personal life

Donald Trump has thrown his full support behind his defense secretary nominee Pete Hegseth in the face of a slew of allegations about his personal life

The 44-year-old veteran has faced resurfaced allegations of sexual assault and claims he was drunk at work, both of which he has denied

The 44-year-old veteran has faced resurfaced allegations of sexual assault and claims he was drunk at work, both of which he has denied

Trump’s Vice President-elect J.D. Vance also piled on the support Friday.

‘Led by President Trump, we’re fighting for Pete Hegseth. And we’re doing so because Pete Hegseth wil fight for our troops,’ he wrote on X. 

‘For too long, the Pentagon has been led by people who lose wars. Pete Hegseth is a man who fought in those wars. We’ve got his back.’

Despite a united front by the Trump ticket, another candidate has emerged as the frontrunner on popular betting market Polymarket.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is leading the pack at 36 percent compared to Hegseth’s 32 percent. 

Other possible replacements Rep. Michael Waltz, R-Fla., who was tapped to be Trump’s National Security Advisor, and former Rep. Mike Gallagher, R-Wis., are trailing at 5.3 percent and 7.4 percent respectively.

The Wall Street Journal first reported earlier this week that Trump is mulling swapping his former political foe DeSantis in place of Hegseth if he doesn’t shore up support. 

But on Thursday morning, Hegseth was again spotted on Capitol Hill meeting with lawmakers to gain momentum for his nomination.

‘I spoke to Trump this morning, just a few minutes ago. He supports us fully,’ Hegseth said walking to a meeting with South Dakota Sen. Mike Rounds.

Asked if he’ll meet Trump at Mar-a-Lago, he acknowledged that it was the president-elect calling the shots. ‘If he wants a meeting we will have a meeting,’ he said

Out of the 53 Republican senators that will be overseeing his potential confirmation early next year Hegseth can only lose three GOP votes and still get through.

Several women GOP senators have expressed interest in speaking with Hegseth face-to-face to discuss the claims.

Sen. Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, who sits on the Senate Armed Services Committee – the panel tasked with overseeing Hegseth’s confirmation – expressed that she was not necessarily on board with the former TV host’s nomination.

During a Fox News interview host Bill Hemmer pressed Ernst on her recent meeting with Hegseth, saying it ‘doesn’t sound in your answer that you got to a yes.’

‘I think you are right,’ she responded.

‘I think for a number of our senators they want to make sure that any allegations have been cleared and that’s why we have to have a very thorough vetting,’ she said.

Many Republicans, though, appear to be on board with Trump’s selections.

But according to the latest DailyMail.com/J.L. Partners poll, voters are unsure that Hegseth is the man for the job.

The 1,000 registered voters that responded to the survey overall viewed him unfavorably.

The survey found just a majority of respondents either viewed Hegseth very or somewhat unfavorably, though the bad rating came with a slim one-point margin.

Further, a majority of voters responded saying that Hegseth is an inappropriate selection for the job.

Just 28 percent of respondents indicated his appointment was appropriate while 29 percent said it was inappropriate, the poll found.

The remaining respondents either had no opinion (27 percent) or had never heard of him (16 percent).

Hegseth has been on Capitol Hill for three consecutive days meeting with lawmakers about his vision for leading the Pentagon

Hegseth has been on Capitol Hill for three consecutive days meeting with lawmakers about his vision for leading the Pentagon

According to the latest DailyMail.com/J.L. Partners poll, voters are unsure that Hegseth is the man for the job

According to the latest DailyMail.com/J.L. Partners poll, voters are unsure that Hegseth is the man for the job

Donald Trump has thrown his full support behind his defense secretary nominee Pete Hegseth

Donald Trump has thrown his full support behind his defense secretary nominee Pete Hegseth

Pete Hegseth, Trump's nominee to be Defense Secretary, meets with Sen. Mike Rounds, R-S.D.

Pete Hegseth, Trump’s nominee to be Defense Secretary, meets with Sen. Mike Rounds, R-S.D.

Out of the many nominations Trump has made for his Cabinet and other high-ranking roles, only Kristi Noem’s nomination to lead the Department of Homeland Security and Hegseth’s nomination to be defense secretary were viewed as inappropriate.

Despite this, the poll found that voters also believe the former TV host should be confirmed to the post by a three-point margin.

Notably voters responded saying all of Trump’s selections should get confirmed.

Still, among the Republican voters that responded to the poll, Hegseth ranked among the most unpopular nominations.

You May Also Like
California man to plead guilty to attempted assassination of Justice Kavanaugh

California Man Admits to Trying to Assassinate Justice Kavanaugh

The man accused of planning to murder Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh…
Tesla owner fights back with warning to Cybertruck vandal, vows to 'make an example' of suspect

Tesla owner issues a warning to Cybertruck vandal and promises to take action against the suspect

As protests against Elon Musk’s Tesla brand are sweeping the United States,…
Ohio State Highway Patrol investigating small plane crash, pilot dead

Investigation into small plane crash by Ohio State Highway Patrol, pilot fatalities reported

Ohio State Highway Patrol is investigating after a small plane crashed in…
Bonnie Blue reveals next eye-watering sex stunt... but it may be physically impossible to achieve

Bonnie Blue shares her latest jaw-dropping sexual feat… but it might be too challenging to actually do

Controversial OnlyFans sensation Bonnie Blue is getting ready to take on her…
Dirt bikes, ATVs driven around World War II memorial in Washington, DC: video

“Watch as Dirt Bikes and ATVs Ride around the World War II Memorial in Washington, DC”

People on dirt bikes and ATVs were seen driving inside the World…
Wednesday Morning Minute: Happy Liberation Day!

A Quick Update on Wednesday Morning: Celebrating Liberation Day!

TOP O’ THE MORNIN’ Red-Hot at RedState  Emotions cannot effectively govern a…
Kidney donor Jose Gregorio Gonzalez detained by ICE hopes to save brother Jose Alfredo Pacheco of Berwyn, Illinois

ICE detains kidney donor Jose Gregorio Gonzalez in hopes of saving his brother Jose Alfredo Pacheco in Berwyn, Illinois.

BERWYN, Ill. — A man with 100% kidney failure is fighting to…
South Carolina deaths of former Bloomberg executive, wife and daughter leave neighbors perplexed

Former Bloomberg Executive, Wife, and Daughter’s Deaths in South Carolina Leave Neighbors Confused

The neighbors of a South Carolina family found dead in their home…
Bodycam in Connecticut house of horrors shows suspect after stepson's fiery escape

Footage from body camera in Connecticut reveals suspect following stepson’s escape from burning house.

Bodycam video from the Waterbury Police Department captures Kimberly Sullivan, the suspected…
Illegal immigrant who allegedly escaped Colorado ICE site during power outage captured on bus

Undocumented migrant reportedly caught after fleeing Colorado ICE facility during power loss

The second illegal immigrant who allegedly escaped from a Colorado detention center…
Val Kilmer's haunting last post revealed after Batman star's death at 65

Val Kilmer’s voice weakens in his final ‘Batman’ post just two months before passing away at 65 after a prolonged illness

After a devastating years-long battle with throat cancer and deteriorating health, Val Kilmer has…
Travis Kelce reacts to brother Jason and Kylie's baby news as NFL star becomes an uncle for fourth time

NFL Star Travis Kelce Responds to Brother Jason and Kylie’s Baby Announcement, Welcomes Fourth Niece or Nephew

Travis Kelce has broken his silence on the birth of his fourth…