Fury as all 5 tourists accused of gang raping Brit, 20, in Ayia Napa CLEARED in shock ruling with accuser ‘distraught’

LAWYERS have slammed a decision by a Cyprus court to acquit five men accused of abducting and raping a British woman in Ayia Napa.

After two years since the reported incident, she has been found not guilty. She claimed that a group of at least five men took her to a hotel room and raped her against her will.

Cypriot police cars transporting Israeli tourists to court.
Police transport Israeli tourists to the Famagusta District Court, to stand trial for allegedly gang-raping a young British woman in CypriotCredit: AFP
Hotel pool and building.
The decision to acquit the five accused men has been slammedCredit: Not known, clear with picture desk
Fedrania Gardens Hotel sign in Ayia Napa, Cyprus.
Fedrania Gardens Hotel, in Ayia Napa, where the Brit claimed she was dragged into a room and raped atCredit: Google

The 20-year-old accuser’s legal team said their client was “completely distraught” after the decision made by Famagusta District Court on Monday.

Michael Polak, a British lawyer and leader of the legal support organization Justice Abroad, expressed that the woman involved was deeply upset by the court’s decision.

A ruling by the European Court of Human Rights highlighted the lack of adequate protection for women who are victims of sexual crimes in Cyprus.

“Unfortunately nothing I have seen shows that there have been any improvements in this area.”

Justice Abroad confirmed their support for the complainant.

The group said in a statement: “Justice Abroad is supporting the young lady in this case.

“During hearings the Court heard a summary of the evidence from the Prosecution which set out a horrifically violent gang rape as well as from several staff members who had witnessed the aftermath of the alleged attack.

“The Court has provided no reasons for its decision to acquit all defendants in this case.”

The group also pointed to a fundraiser set up to help the young 20-year-old woman raise funds for support.

All five of the defendants – Israeli Arabs aged between 19 and 20 – were found not guilty of the attack despite DNA and other evidence that pointed to their involvement in the alleged gang rape, according to the Brit’s lawyers.

They had been remanded in custody since September 3, 2023 when the “highly distressed” tourist told cops she had been taken “by force” to a hotel room by the men and violently sexually assaulted.

The Israelis had been charged with crimes including rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment and abduction.

Former Barcelona star Dani Alves cleared of raping woman at nightclub after appeal

Within minutes of the verdict being announced they were allowed to walk free with their lawyer describing the decision as “brave.”

“It is a brave decision that completely rejected the complainant’s version and completely accept our client’s version,” Nir Yaslovitzh, the attorney representing the men told Israel’s Channel 12.

The district court said that the Brit’s account “lacked coherence and contained numerous substantial contradictions.”

It also ruled that while she had consumed MDMA, otherwise known as Ecstasy and a “significant amount” of alcohol it wasn’t enough “to remove her ability to consent”.

Women’s rights groups on the island described this notion as “risible.”

One well-placed source called the judgement “another mockery of justice,” saying the accuser had given testimony without any support or even a lawyer.

“She was alone and highly traumatised and there wasn’t even a lawyer present,” they said.

“This judgement comes at a time when Cyprus and Israel are doing everything to strengthen their diplomatic relations and it is the belief of many here that today’s court decision has clearly been influenced by that.”

On top of saying the women’s account “lacked coherence”, the court said the claim she was kidnapped was not credible.

They said this was due to the presence of over 100 people at a pool party, including her close friend, whose testimony contradicted this, according to Philenews.

The judges said: “The position that she was shouting for help during the incident is contradicted by witnesses from the adjacent room, who were determined to have been in a position to hear anyone shouting.”

The acquitted five are Arab-Israelis from a town near Acre and were hauled before a three-member panel of judges in Famagusta district court on Cyprus.

Other charges the five were acquitted of include one count of sexual abuse, one count of forced sexual intercourse, one count of sexual harassment, and one count of abduction.

Famagusta District Court in Paralimni, Cyprus.
The Famagusta District Court in Paralimni, Cyprus, acquitted the five accused Israeli men on MondayCredit: PA:Press Association
You May Also Like

Tragic News: Young Scooter Fatally Injured in Police Chase, 911 Caller Arrested

THE woman accused of placing a fake 911 call that ended in…

Special Education Teacher Breaks Down While Being Arrested for Allegedly Sexually Assaulting Special Needs Student

An Illinois special education teacher accused of molesting a teen student broke…

New Vape Detection Technology in Schools Comes with High Costs

NEW vape detectors being installed in schools will cost the district thousands.…

Effect of Trump’s tariffs on British employment and the impact of Keir’s efforts in the US.

BRITAIN’S 10 per cent tariff hit is causing mixed feelings in the…

Woman reunites with twin sister five years after her passing during emotional meeting with recipient of life-changing double transplant

This is the emotional moment a woman held the hand of her…

US and Israel set to launch massive attack on Iran to eliminate Ayatollah’s nuclear capabilities in long-awaited strike

IRAN’S nuclear programme should have been dealt with “a long time ago”,…

Police: Former NYC Councilman Caught with Thousands of Child Sex Abuse Videos at Miami Airport

Former New York City Councilman Dan Halloran, who was previously convicted for…

“Al Qaeda ‘mastermind’ connected to 7/7 attack scheduled to be released in UK despite concerns of ongoing risk”

AN al-Qaeda “mastermind” linked to the 7/7 attacks is set to walk…

Understanding Serial Killers: Psychology, Profiling, and Prevention

This podcast series consisting of three parts delves into the development of…

Tory peer and former Page of Honour to Queen Elizabeth II passes away at the age of 79 after a head injury

Lord Charles O’Hagan, godson of the late Queen Elizabeth II, has died…

Baby’s body discovered next to damaged casket at cemetery; inquiry in progress

West Virginia officials said no graves were disturbed at a cemetery where…

“Heathrow Executives Alerted to Substation Issues Shortly Before Fire Led to Power Outage and Airport Shutdown”

Heathrow bosses were warned of potential substation failures just days before the…