Myanmar's military declares a ceasefire to ease quake relief as the death toll tops 3,000

A temporary ceasefire was declared by Myanmar’s ruling military in the midst of the country’s civil war to aid relief efforts after a 7.7 magnitude earthquake caused the death of over 3,000 individuals.

The unexpected announcement was made by military leaders who also lead the government without being elected, and it was broadcasted late Wednesday on state television MRTV. The cessation of hostilities is set to last until April 22 as a gesture of compassion towards the victims of the earthquake that occurred on Friday.

Prior to this announcement, various armed resistance groups against military control had independently announced temporary ceasefires. The military cautioned these groups to refrain from attacking the state or organizing, as failing to comply would result in facing “necessary” actions.

The resistance forces have also reserved the right to fight in self-defense.

Damaged buildings are seen in the aftermath of Friday's earthquake in Naypyitaw, Myanmar, Wednesday, April 2, 2025.

Damaged buildings are seen in the aftermath of Friday’s earthquake in Naypyitaw, Myanmar, Wednesday, April 2, 2025.

Earlier Wednesday, rescuers pulled two men alive from the ruins of a hotel in Myanmar’s capital, a third from a guesthouse in another city, and another in the country’s second city, Mandalay, five days after the quake. But most teams were finding only bodies.

The quake hit midday Friday, toppling thousands of buildings, collapsing bridges and buckling roads. The death toll rose to 3,003 on Wednesday, with more than 4,500 people injured, MRTV reported. Local reports suggest much higher figures.

The quake worsened an already dire humanitarian crisis due to Myanmar’s civil war. More than 3 million people had been displaced from their homes and nearly 20 million were in need even before it hit, according to the United Nations.

Dramatic rescue in Myanmar capital

In the capital, Naypyitaw, a team of Turkish and local rescue workers used an endoscopic camera to locate Naing Lin Tun on a lower floor of the damaged hotel where he worked. They pulled him gingerly through a hole jackhammered through a floor and loaded him on to a gurney nearly 108 hours after he was first trapped.

Shirtless and covered in dust, he appeared weak but conscious in a video released by the local fire department, as he was fitted with an IV drip and taken away. State-run MRTV reported later in the day that another man was saved from the same building, more than 121 hours after the quake struck. Both were age 26.

Another man, a 47-year-old primary school principal, was rescued by a team of Malaysian and local crews from a collapsed guesthouse in the Sagaing township, near the epicenter of the earthquake close to Myanmar’s second-largest city, Mandalay, where a fourth rescue was reported Wednesday night.

The earthquake also rocked neighboring Thailand, causing the collapse of a high-rise building under construction in Bangkok. One body was removed from the rubble early Wednesday, raising the death total in Bangkok to 22 with 35 injured, primarily at the construction site.

Resistance groups have announced ceasefires

Myanmar’s military seized power in 2021 from the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi, sparking what has turned into significant armed resistance.

Ceasefires had been announced earlier this week by the People’s Defense Force, which is the armed wing of the shadow opposition National Unity Government, and the Three Brotherhood Alliance, a trio of ethnic minority guerrilla armies.

That had put pressure on the military government to follow suit, said Morgan Michaels, a Singapore-based analyst with the International Institute of Strategic Studies.

It’s too early to say whether a pause in fighting could lead to something longer lasting, he said. “It would require very deft and active diplomacy to transform a humanitarian pause into something more lasting. And that’s not guaranteed,” Morgans said.

Military leader due in Thailand

The military government was particularly vulnerable to bad publicity this week because its leader, Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing, was expected for a high-profile visit to a regional conference in the Thai capital Thursday.

It will be his first to a country other than his government’s main supporters and backers – China, Russia and Russia ally Belarus – since he attended another regional meeting in Indonesia in 2021.

Min Aung Hlaing and other senior leaders are shunned and sanctioned by many Western countries for their 2021 takeover and human rights abuses as they try to crush the resistance to their rule.

Claims of an attack on a Chinese Red Cross convoy

Before Wednesday’s ceasefire announcement, an opposition militia belonging to the Brotherhood Alliance reported that the military fired on a relief convoy of nine Chinese Red Cross vehicles late Tuesday in the northern part of Shan state.

The Ta’ang National Liberation Army said that the Chinese Red Cross was bringing supplies to Mandalay and had reported its route to the military.

But Maj. Gen. Zaw Min Tun, spokesman for the military government, said that the convoy hadn’t notified authorities of its route ahead of time, MRTV reported. While not mentioning the Red Cross, he said that security forces had fired into the air to deter a convoy that refused to stop.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun didn’t comment on the attack. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said it was looking into the matter.

More international aid heads to Myanmar

Countries have pledged millions in assistance to help Myanmar and humanitarian aid organizations with the monumental task ahead, while also sending in specialist search and rescue teams and setting up field hospitals.

India and China, both neighbors of Myanmar that compete for influence there, have been especially quick and generous with assistance. Multiple other countries have sent teams, including Turkey, Vietnam, Singapore and Malaysia.

The U.S. government has pledged $2 million in emergency aid and sent a three-person team to assess how best to respond given drastic cuts to U.S. foreign assistance.

Extent of devastation is still unclear

Most of the details so far have come from Mandalay, which was near the epicenter of the earthquake, and Naypyitaw, about 270 kilometers (165 miles) north of Mandalay.

Many areas are without power, telephone or cellphone connections, and difficult to reach by road, but more reports are beginning to trickle in.

In Singu township, about 65 kilometers (40 miles) north of Mandalay, 27 gold miners were killed in a cave-in, the independent Democratic Voice of Burma reported.

In the area of Inle Lake, a popular tourist destination northeast of the capital, many people died when homes built on wooden stilts in the water collapsed in the earthquake, the Global New Light of Myanmar reported.

Copyright © 2025 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

You May Also Like
The five lines in Trump's tariffs that spell the end of cheap fast fashion... and will further devastate malls

Five trade policies introduced by Trump that will bring an end to affordable quick fashion and cause more harm to shopping malls

The golden age of bargain clothing shopping is coming to a screeching…
‘The Pitt’ Episode 14 Ending Explained: Is Dr. McKay Going to Jail?

Decoding the Ending of Episode 14 of ‘The Pitt’: Will Dr. McKay Be Imprisoned?

In the latest episode of “The Pitt,” titled “8 PM” on MAX,…
Hungary says it is withdrawing from International Criminal Court as Israeli PM Netanyahu visits country

Hungary Announces Withdrawal from International Criminal Court During Visit by Israeli PM Netanyahu

Hungary is withdrawing from the International Criminal Court (ICC), a move that…
Chicago attorney Rachel Cohen resigns in protest after law firm Skadden Law makes deal with Trump administration

Rachel Cohen, a lawyer from Chicago, steps down in objection following Skadden Law firm’s agreement with the Trump administration.

CHICAGO (WLS) — A Chicago attorney is opposing the efforts of President…
‘The Monkey’ Comes to Digital, But When Will ‘The Monkey’ Movie Be Streaming?

When Will ‘The Monkey’ Movie Be Available for Streaming?

Hollywood continues to benefit from the steady supply of horror stories from…
You Need to See the Powerful New VP Vance Video That Could Recruit the Next Generation of Warfighters

JD Vance Speaks Out on Deportations – Taking Action Based on the People’s Will

J.D. Vance, the Vice President, criticized the backlash against the government’s management…
Rubber ducks take center stage at this unique store!

Rubber ducks are the main attraction at this distinctive shop!

SAN FRANCISCO — If you’re in search of the ultimate rubber duck…
Teddi Mellencamp Confirms She Has Stage 4 Melanoma In Emotional Interview After Cancer Spread To Her Lungs And Brain

Teddi Mellencamp Reveals Stage 4 Melanoma Diagnosis in Emotional Interview After Cancer Spreads to Lungs and Brain

Reality TV personality Teddi Mellencamp from the show Real Housewives of Beverly…
Trump fires staff of 'idiot' adviser embroiled in Signal scandal after urging by controversial MAGA influencer

Trump dismisses team of ‘foolish’ advisor linked to Signal controversy following recommendation from a polarizing MAGA figure

President Donald Trump has fired several members of his National Security Council team.…
Chicago Teachers Union President Stacy Davis Gates speaks after House of Delegates approves tentative Chicago Public Schools deal

Stacy Davis Gates, President of Chicago Teachers Union, Shares Thoughts on Approved Chicago Public Schools Agreement

CHICAGO (WLS) — Chicago Teachers Union President Stacy Davis Gates shared details…
When Do New Episodes Of ‘The Pitt’ Come Out on Max? Episode 14 Premiere Time and More

Release Date for New Episodes of ‘The Pitt’ on Max? Episode 14 Premiere Schedule and Details

Last week, an all-new episode of MAX’s show, The Pitt, took Dr.…
Trump now fires his NSA chief as MAGA star linked to mass bloodletting on his security team celebrates

Donald Trump has dismissed his National Security Advisor while a prominent figure associated with extensive violence within his security group is commended.

Donald Trump added to his firings at the National Security Council by…