BRUSSELS – Accusations have been made by Britain and France against Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday, claiming that he is delaying ceasefire negotiations to end the conflict in Ukraine. They have increased pressure on Moscow by demanding an immediate response from the United States.
Russia has effectively turned down a U.S. proposal for an immediate 30-day ceasefire after a Kremlin official stated on Monday that Moscow considers the efforts to end the three-year conflict with Ukraine as a prolonged procedure.
British Foreign Secretary David Lammy expressed, “Our assessment is that Putin is still being evasive and delaying.” He made this statement to journalists at NATO headquarters, with French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot by his side, showing unity.
Britain and France are helping to lead a multinational effort known as the “coalition of the willing” to set up a force to police any future peace in Ukraine.
Lammy said that while Putin should be accepting a ceasefire, “he continues to bombard Ukraine. It’s civilian population. It’s energy supplies. We see you, Vladimir Putin. We know what you are doing.”
Barrot said that Ukraine had accepted ceasefire terms three weeks ago, and that Russia now “owes an answer to the United States.” U.S. President Donald Trump has expressed frustration with Putin and Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy after he promised last year to bring the war to a swift conclusion.
“Russia has been flip-flopping, continuing its strikes on energy infrastructure, continuing its war crimes,” Barrot said. “It has to be ‘yes.’ It has to be ‘no.’ It has to be a quick answer.”
He said that Russia shows no intention of halting its military campaign, noting that Putin on Monday ordered a call-up intended to draft 160,000 conscripts for a one-year tour of compulsory military service.
The two foreign ministers pledged to continue helping to build up Ukraine’s armed forces – the country’s best security guarantee since the U.S. took any prospect of NATO membership off the table.
Coalition army chiefs were due to meet in Kyiv on Friday. Defense ministers from the group will meet at NATO headquarters next Thursday.
Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.