New developments continue to unfold amid Jonathan Majors’s assault and harassment charges. The actor’s case is officially going to trial months after he was arrested on March 25 in New York City following an alleged domestic dispute. A statement from the Manhattan District Attorney sent to POPSUGAR on March 28 revealed that the actor was arraigned the following day on misdemeanor charges including assault and aggravated harassment of an unnamed woman. In addition to laying out the charges, the Manhattan DA’s office stated that an NYC judge had released Majors from custody on his own recognizance and granted him a limited order of protection, per Variety.

In another statement sent to POPSUGAR on March 28, Majors’s attorney Priya Chaudhry alleged that the actor was the one who had placed the 911 call that led to his arrest. “To set the record straight: As confirmed by one of the woman’s own written statements disavowing her allegations, it is Mr. Majors who called 911 due to concern for her mental health,” Chaudhry wrote.

Majors denies all wrongdoing, per Chaudhry. She also claimed that “Majors is completely innocent and is provably the victim of an altercation with a woman he knows.” The defense attorney added at the time, “We are quickly gathering and presenting evidence to the District Attorney with the expectation that all charges will be dropped imminently.”

Moreover, Chaudhry detailed the alleged evidence in her statement, which she said, at the time, included video footage from the site of the reported incident, testimony from eyewitnesses, and two written statements from the woman recanting the allegations. “All the evidence proves that Mr. Majors is entirely innocent and did not assault her whatsoever,” she claimed, adding that she believes the charges will soon be dropped and arrests must be made in cases of this nature. “This is the only reason Mr. Majors was arrested,” she said.

Still, the “Creed III” actor is set to appear in court next month and, per Deadline, could face up to a year behind bars if found guilty of his assault and harassment charges. Read ahead for a timeline of the aftermath of Majors’s alleged domestic dispute and court hearings, including how the fallout has affected his acting career.

Timeline of Jonathan Majors’s Alleged Domestic-Violence Dispute

  • April 27: A judge grants Majors’s accuser a temporary order of protection. In a statement sent to Variety, the Manhattan District Attorney’s office said, “Today a judge granted a full temporary order of protection for the victim, per the People’s request and with the consent of defense counsel. (At the time of arraignment, a limited temporary order of protection was granted).” The order of protection meant that Majors and the unnamed woman could not have any direct or third-party contact until their next court date, which was scheduled for May 9.
  • May 9: Majors appears in court virtually for a status conference in connection with his charges. During the hearing, the DA introduced new details in the case’s complaint that indicated the unnamed woman allegedly experienced another injury during the dispute. She also claimed to have been pushed into a car by Majors. The actor was ordered by a judge to continue to abide by the full stay-away order of protection that was in place.
  • May 9: Majors’s attorney maintains the actor’s innocence in a new statement. Following Majors’s virtual court hearing, Chaudhry sent a statement to POPSUGAR that claimed she had “irrefutable evidence that the woman is lying, including video proof showing nothing happened.” Chaudhry and her team previously released video and texts between the unnamed woman and Majors, per The Hollywood Reporter. The statement continued, “This is a witch hunt against Jonathan Majors, driven by baseless claims. Instead of dismissing the allegations in the face of the woman’s clear lies, the DA has adjusted the charges to match the woman’s new lies. To be clear, there are no new charges against Mr. Majors.” Later in the statement, she added, “The criminal justice system is saturated with explicit and implicit bias . . . This glaring double standard between the treatment of Jonathan Majors, a Black man weighing 200 lbs., and his accuser, highlights the racial bias that permeates the criminal justice system.” Furthermore, Chaudhry’s statement claimed, “We have obtained even more video evidence of his innocence, but we are hesitant to share it, for fear the DA will tip the woman off to change her story again.”
  • June 20: Majors appears in court in person for the first time in his alleged assault case. In the brief court proceedings, per Variety, a judge set Majors’s trial date for Aug. 3. The actor was accompanied by his girlfriend, fellow actor Meagan Good.
  • June 27: Majors files a cross-complaint against his assault accuser. Per Insider, Majors filed an NYPD domestic-violence complaint against his accuser, in which he alleged that she attacked him on March 25 and not the other way around. According to a domestic incident report and sworn affidavit obtained by the outlet, Majors gave police his version of that day, which he claimed involved his “drunk and hysterical” accuser scratching, slapping, and grabbing at his face, causing bleeding. Insider reported that a second NYPD precinct was also involved in investigating Majors’s counter-claims, with both finding probable cause to arrest the actor’s accuser.
  • Aug. 3: Majors’s trial date is delayed. The actor returned to court to begin his trial, but the prosecution said it wasn’t ready to begin because it was still obtaining discovery, Variety reported. “The people are not ready for trial today,” Assistant District Attorney Kelli Galaway told the judge. Per Deadline, Judge Rachel S. Pauley delayed the trial until Sept. 6 after a very short hearing. Chaudhry alleged that the delay was due to prosecutors not being “timely” in turning over evidence for the case, according to Variety. That same day, in a statement from the Manhattan District Attorney’s office sent to POPSUGAR, it said, “We look forward to presenting the full facts and evidence at trial.”
  • Sept. 15: Majors’s trial gets another new date. According to Variety, Judge Michael Gaffey pushed Majors’s hearing to Oct. 25 after hearing from the actor’s attorneys and the Manhattan District Attorney’s office. Three days prior, Majors’s team filed a motion to dismiss his case.
  • Oct. 24: Prosecutors reveal a previously unreported incident involving London police. According to a motion obtained by Rolling Stone, prosecutors revealed in court documents that they acquired a police report prepared by Metropolitan Police regarding a September 2022 incident. It’s unclear what it details, but it could be relevant to Majors’s domestic-violence allegations. Additionally, prosecutors shared that they obtained Majors’s accuser’s medical records and subsequent treatment related to a previously undisclosed incident. Moreover, the motion accused the actor’s legal team of pulling multiple publicity stunts, which include leaking and misrepresenting court evidence as well as an attempt to have NYPD spread a “wanted flyer” for Majors’s assault accuser. According to the Los Angeles Times, the motion also stated that prosecutors have no plans to charge Majors’s accuser with a separate assault allegation, despite previous reports that said she may face charges.
  • Oct. 25: Majors receives a new trial date after a judge denies to dismiss the actor’s case. Per CNN, a New York judge denied a motion to dismiss Majors’s assault case, thus moving it forward to trial. The trial is set to begin on Nov. 29.

How Have the Allegations Affected Majors’s Career?

Majors’s busy acting career came to a halt in light of his allegations. Earlier this year, he appeared in “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” and “Creed III,” as well as “Loki” season two, which kicked off on Oct. 5 and was filmed prior to Majors’s alleged dispute. But other aspects of Majors’s career have taken a hit since.

According to an April 17 report from Deadline, he was dropped by talent manager Entertainment 360, per several sources. PR firm The Lede Company, which represented Majors, also initiated a break from the actor. Deadline then noted that Majors and fashion house Valentino “mutually agreed” that the actor wouldn’t attend this year’s Met Gala as one of its guests. He did not attend the event at all.

On April 18, Deadline confirmed that Majors is no longer starring in “The Man in My Basement,” an adaptation of the Walter Mosley novel of the same name, and revealed he has also been removed from consideration for an unannounced Otis Redding biopic. Additionally, an ad campaign for the Texas Rangers starring Majors, which was set to air on April 21, was also reportedly pulled at the time.

Currently, Majors is still set to star in Marvel’s 2025 film “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty” as Kang the Conquerer and in a bodybuilding drama titled “Magazine Dreams” in December.

In the wake of his arrest, the US Army announced that it pulled its “Be All You Can Be” ad campaign featuring Majors. “The U.S. Army is aware of the arrest of Jonathan Majors and we are deeply concerned by the allegations surrounding his arrest,” Laura DeFrancisco, public affairs chief for the Army Enterprise Marketing Office, said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter in March. “While Mr. Majors is innocent until proven guilty, prudence dictates that we pull our ads until the investigation into these allegations is complete.”

According to the Associated Press, the recruiting ads were set to run again during the NCAA’s Final Four basketball games, leaving the Army to repurpose the spots with existing and unused footage that didn’t include Majors. “We are absolutely able to utilize a majority of what we have invested,” Alex Fink, head of Army marketing, told the outlet in late March. “We think that we’ll have some brand new creative ads in time for the Women’s Final Four on Friday. . . . [W]e have a ton of content to go back to, to create basically new commercials . . . if we need to. The campaign is full steam ahead.”

Read More: World News | Entertainment News | Celeb News
Source: Sugar

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Who Are the BTS Members Dating? Here’s What to Know

In October 2021, rumors V was dating the daughter of the president…

Everyone Taylor Swift Has Dated Publicly Through the Years

One of the benefits of being a massively successful pop star is,…

Aida Osman Worked Her Way From the “Rap Sh!t” Writers’ Room to Her TV Role

Aida Osman may be just beginning her acting career, but she’s no…

Bad Bunny Says He’s Not Interested in Marriage or Kids: “I Don’t Think So”

Bad Bunny and Kendall Jenner can’t seem to get enough of each…