Target boycott hits chain for eighth week straight as worker sounds the alarm and shoppers rage ‘I’m never going back’

TARGET employees have noticed a significant drop off in foot traffic after eight weeks of boycotts.

The retailer has struggled to bring in customers after rolling back its diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts.

Protestor holding a sign that says "TARGET" with a line through it.
After eight weeks of protests, Target is still struggling to bring in foot trafficCredit: AP
Aerial view of a nearly empty Target parking lot.
Consumers boycotted the retailer after they rolled back DEI initiativesCredit: Getty

Target announced that it would be getting rid of its DEI program in late January.

Data collected by Placer.ai shows that the company has seen foot traffic fall almost 6% year-over-year, as reported by Fortune.

According to Target’s earnings report, the retailer reported a 3.1% loss in Q4 as well as a non-specific sales decline in February.

“As a target worker, the boycott is legit working,” one employee tweeted.

“I’m never shopping at a target everrrrrr. And I’ve encouraged my family to boycott as well,” one consumer tweeted.

“I haven’t shopped at Target in over 2 months,” said another.

This comes after Target’s well-known Circle Week which is held from March 23 to 29.

During the week, consumers are offered exclusive deals and savings of up to 40% if they are Target Circle members.

According to Placer.ai, Target’s Circle Week attracted many customers in both 2023 and 2024, with people flocking to the chain to take advantage of discounted prices.

On launch day, consumer visits increased by 5.0% in 2023 and 4.6% in 2024.

Moment CNN anchor screams at pundit in heated exchange over her pay as panel on DEI spirals into shouting match

However, as expected, foot traffic fell off during the work week — visits hovered just below daily visit averages.

One consumer expressed dissatisfaction by stating, “Haven’t been to Target in over 2 months and I will continue to boycott. I can’t imagine how many customers Target lost here in Minnesota,” on Twitter.

“Even if it means going to HyVee, Fresh Thyme and Cub to get the products I previously bought at Target.”

Several companies have ditched their DEI policies after President Trump’s executive order including Walmart, McDonald’s, Ford, and Meta Platforms.

Which companies have dumped DEI policies after Donald Trump’s executive order?

Major brands have either ditched or are re-examining their DEI initiatives after Donald Trump cracked down at the federal level.

  • Walmart
  • McDonald’s
  • John Deere
  • Target
  • Meta Platforms
  • Ford
  • Brown-Forman – the parent company of Jack Daniels
  • Tractor Supply
  • PBS

Goldman Sachs has made a decision to step back from its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) initiative by removing a requirement that mandated certain clients to have women and individuals from minority groups on their board of directors.

Google has rescinded a goal in 2020 to increase representation of underrepresented groups among the company’s leadership team by 30% within five years.

Amazon said it was halting some of its DEI programs, although it did not specify which ones.

Lowe’s said the company was “reviewing” its DEI programs.

Harley-Davidson said it does not have hiring quotas and would no longer have supplier diversity spending goals

Some of these companies, like Walmart and McDonald’s, have somewhat bounced back after many weeks of declining sales.

After seven weeks, Walmart finally saw a 0.3% traffic gain, according to Fortune.

Similarly, McDonald’s inched forward with a 2% gain, as reported by Fortune.

However, companies that have stuck to DEI initiatives have seen foot traffic significantly improve in recent times.

Costco has resisted Trump’s order to dump DEI policies, and its foot traffic rose over 5%, which marked its 13th straight week of gains over the last year.

Workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts are increasingly becoming part of national political debates.

In the executive order, the president said eliminating such policies would protect “the civil rights of all Americans” as well as work towards expanding “individual opportunity.”

“Every man and woman should have the opportunity to go as far as their hard work, individual initiative, and competence can take them. In America, excellence, grit, and determination is our strength,” as stated in a fact sheet provided by the administration.

According to a Pew Research Center report from 2023, most employed US adults (56%) believe focusing on increasing DEI efforts at work is a positive thing.

“These policies don’t actually dictate who gets hired,” Jessica Fulton, vice president of Policy at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, a nonprofit that aims to improve African-Americans’ socioeconomic status.

“They are ways to open doors to people who might not have access or aren’t as well-connected in an industry or occupation,” she explained.

Target did not immediately reply to The U.S. Sun’s request for comment.

You May Also Like

Effects of Trump’s Tariffs on Brits: Navigating the Challenges Ahead post “Liberation Day”

US President Donald Trump has recently declared a 10% tariff on nearly…

People in the Canary Islands prepare for Storm Nuria as it approaches – check the latest weather updates

TOURISTS and residents of the Spanish Canary Islands are bracing for the…

Drug dealer confesses to causing explosion in Newcastle that resulted in deaths of seven-year-old boy and man in his 30s

A drug dealer has admitted killing a seven-year-old boy and a man…

Bus Driver Reveals Details about Virginia Giuffre’s Accident Involving Prince Andrew Accuser

THE bus driver involved in a crash which allegedly left Virginia Giuffre…

Les Ferdinand shares his biggest career regret and how it continues to affect him

Former Newcastle and Spurs forward Les Ferdinand has revealed he’s had ‘many…

PM cautions about economic consequences for UK jobs due to Trump’s trade dispute, with various industries such as automobiles, steel, pharmaceuticals, and fashion affected by a 10% tariff, resulting in stock market decline.

Keir Starmer warned of an ‘economic impact’ from Donald Trump’s extraordinary trade…

Effect of Trump’s tariffs on British employment and the impact of Keir’s efforts in the US.

BRITAIN’S 10 per cent tariff hit is causing mixed feelings in the…

Amazon makes a late attempt to acquire TikTok before app risks US ban if not severed from Chinese parent company

Reportedly, Amazon has entered a bid to buy TikTok at the eleventh…

Upset Prince Harry promises to investigate Sentebale thoroughly to reveal the truth and criticizes false allegations of harassment and bullying made against him by the chairperson.

Prince Harry has expressed doubt over the integrity of Sentebale’s leader, implying…

US Tariffs Still Pose a Threat to the UK Economy, Says Andrew Neil

Keir Starmer’s compliance and specific pleas ultimately worked: Great Britain experienced less…

Grieving families of four-year-old girl, mother, and man who died in fire at Grade-II listed house honor their memory with heartfelt tribute

The heartbroken families of a four-year-old girl, her mother, and a man…

Donald Trump announces measures to achieve economic independence by imposing a minimum 10% tax on all imported goods into the United States.

‘Not the act of a friend’: World leaders fuming over Trump tariffs…