Body found in search for frantic OAP who was feared to have got stuck in a remote estuary after she 'vanished near quicksand'

A body has been found in the search for a missing 74-year-old woman amid fears she had became became stuck in the mud while out walking.

74-year-old Shona Campbell took a walk near Moss-Side Caravan Park in Cummertrees, Annan, on Monday. She encountered difficulties in the mud close to the Solway Estuary at approximately 5pm, just before the usual time when the tide rises.

She frantically made the call to emergency services herself, pleading for help after becoming stuck in treacherous terrain.

Search and rescue teams raced to get to her phone’s last know location and scoured the area.  

Then, at around 5.40pm today, the body of a woman was found in the estuary, police confirmed.

Formal identification has not yet taken place but the family of Ms Campbell have been informed.

It is thought that Ms Campbell lived on Isle of Man, according to reports from Isle of Man Today.

The death is being treated as unexplained by police who do not believe it to be suspicious and a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.

Experts say there are large areas of mudflats surrounding the estuaries of the River Nith and River Annan, with many areas vulnerable to quicksand. 

A body has been found in the search for Shona Campbell, 74, amid fears she had became became stuck in the mud while out walking

A body has been found in the search for Shona Campbell, 74, amid fears she had became became stuck in the mud while out walking

The death is being treated as unexplained by police it is not believed to be suspicious. Pictured: Castlehill Point on the Solway Coast

The death is being treated as unexplained by police it is not believed to be suspicious. Pictured: Castlehill Point on the Solway Coast

A view of the estuary close to the caravan park in Annan where Ms Campbell was staying

A view of the estuary close to the caravan park in Annan where Ms Campbell was staying

The Solway Estuary is known for being a dangerous part of the UK’s coastline, experiencing some of the swiftest tidal movements in Europe.

Earlier, Inspector Amy Ritchie said: ‘Every effort is being made to find Shona and her family are being supported by officers at this difficult time.

‘She was visiting the area and staying at West Moss-Side Caravan Park, Cummertrees.

‘From our enquiries so far, we know Shona left the caravan park to go for a walk before getting into difficulty and has not returned.

‘Local officers and search advisors are being assisted by specialist resources.’ 

Stewart Bryden, the senior coastal operations officer for the Coastguard, mentioned that the tides had been changing during the period when Ms. Campbell disappeared. Despite a thorough search of the area, there was no immediate trace of her.

He told STV News at the scene yesterday: ‘Last night, it was freezing, we had frost this morning, the conditions out there could be grim.

‘There’s a bit of quicksand out there, that’s the concern we have.’

The area off the coast is considered dangerous due to some of the fastest tidal movements in Europe.

Large areas of mudflats surround the estuaries of the River Nith and River Annan, with many sections vulnerable to quicksand.

HM Coastguard said a search and rescue helicopter from Prestwick in Ayrshire was sent after a report was made at about 5.15pm on Monday of a woman stuck in mud by the mouth of the River Nith.

A spokesman said: ‘Coastguard Rescue Teams were sent from Annan, Burgh-by-Sands and Portling, as well as the Nith Inshore Rescue lifeboat.

‘Police Scotland and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service were also alerted.’

Ms Campbell is understood to have been a keen walker, who covered several miles of coastline every day. The Solway Firth is third largest estuary in the UK.

In May, a 42-year-old man died after two jet skis collided near a holiday park on the firth. He was flown to hospital but died of his injuries.

The incident happened near the Auchenlarie Holiday Park, further west from where Ms Campbell was staying.

Three years earlier, 20 people had to be rescued after they were cut off by the tide at Southerness Point.

The group of children and adults had become stranded by the firth’s fast-moving waters.

You May Also Like

Mother and her 5- and 8-year-old daughters tragically killed by a driver who claimed to be possessed by evil during a collision as they were walking back home in NYC

A BRITISH mum and her two daughters were killed in a horror…

“Build-up of US Military Forces in Response to Iran: Aircraft Carrier, Stealth Bombers Prepared for Action”

DONALD Trump is massing a huge Iran strike force including moving the…

Val Kilmer’s lost voice in Top Gun: Maverick scenes with Tom Cruise brought to emotional tears

Val Kilmer’s final ever film role left tears in fans’ eyes as…

Molly-Mae Confirms Release Dates for Upcoming Episodes of Her Documentary

Hey! If you’re anything like me, you’ve probably been hooked on Molly-Mae:…

Grieving families of four-year-old girl, mother, and man who died in fire at Grade-II listed house honor their memory with heartfelt tribute

The heartbroken families of a four-year-old girl, her mother, and a man…

Jason and Kylie Kelce welcome their fourth child and share the baby’s name

Jason and Kylie Kelce have welcomed their fourth child, announcing the birth…

Have Jacqui and Clint from MAFS Australia Begun a Relationship? Details of their Timeline Exposed

Hello, fans of reality TV shows! If you’ve been watching Married at…

High HOA Fees Making Homeowners Feel Trapped in Unwanted Houses as Costs Increase

HOMEOWNERS feel handcuffed to houses they no longer want because of sky-high…

Shocking video shows ‘murderer’ looking directly at camera before ‘shooting Walgreens employee due to disdain for major drugstores’

SHOCKING footage shows a man who claimed to hate pharmacies allegedly shooting…

Exclusive Video Footage: Suspect Caught Loading Teen’s Body after Luring Online

When Miranda Corsette loses both parents, she moves in with her grandmother…

Police: Former NYC Councilman Caught with Thousands of Child Sex Abuse Videos at Miami Airport

Former New York City Councilman Dan Halloran, who was previously convicted for…

26-year-old who sexually assaulted a five-year-old girl during babysitting to have confidential parole review to prevent distress

A man who sexually assaulted a five-year-old girl he was babysitting will…