Detectives investigating child sexual exploitation in Rotherham have insisted they are not walking away as they announced that they will no longer open new investigations after identifying more than 1,000 victims.

The National Crime Agency (NCA) said Operation Stovewood – which it says is the UK’s biggest ever investigation into child abuse – “is to move into a new phase” over the next few months after nine years of investigations.

The agency said it is “confident that we have done all we realistically can to identify those individuals who may have been victims”, saying it has identified more than 1,100 children involved in the exploitation between 1997 and 2013 – almost all girls.

Read more: Driver stunned to learn why you shouldn’t buy supermarket’s cheapest petrol or diesel

Operation Stovewood was set up in the wake of the Jay Report, which sent a shockwave across the nation in 2014 when it found that at least 1,400 girls were abused, trafficked and groomed by gangs of men of mainly Pakistani heritage in the town between those years.

The report by Professor Alexis Jay – who is now chairing the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse – prompted a swathe of resignations and further inquiries after it emerged how police, social workers and other agencies had done little to tackle the issue. NCA Stovewood Head of Investigations Philip Marshall said on Tuesday: “During the course of the last nine years, we have identified more than 1,100 victims and made contact with as many of those as possible.

“Some, for reasons that are entirely understandable, have decided not to engage with us. We respect their decisions. We are now confident that we have done all we realistically can to identify those individuals who may have been victims during the Stovewood time period.

Get breaking news in Yorkshire straight to your phone



Get all the latest big and breaking Yorkshire news straight to your mobile via WhatsApp by clicking here.

If you don’t like our community, you can leave any time. We also treat members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. Read our privacy notice here.

“As a result, from the start of 2024, the NCA will no longer open any new investigations, and any new allegations will be investigated by South Yorkshire Police.” Mr Marshall said: “This does not mean we are walking away. We will continue to investigate in the cases we have already opened, and victims should know we will continue to treat them as a priority.

“We remain determined to seek justice for as many victims as possible and we will continue to work with partners including the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) to bring as many offenders to justice as we can. Both the NCA and South Yorkshire Police are determined this process should be as seamless as possible, and we’re confident that should anyone new come forward after January 1 they will still be supported in exactly the same way.”

The NCA said the operation has seen more than 200 arrests and officers have secured 26 convictions, with more than 50 active investigations ongoing under the Stovewood banner and more than 300 designated suspects identified. Last week Neil Cawton, 68, from Rawmarsh, South Yorkshire, became the 26th person convicted since Stovewood began. Cawton was sentenced to 10 years in prison after being found guilty of nine separate child sex abuse offences committed against four victims between 2006 and 2012.

The NCA said it remains committed to seeing its current investigations through to the end of the criminal justice process, which is anticipated to continue into 2027. The agency said Operation Stovewood is the single largest law enforcement operation of its kind ever undertaken in the UK and, at its height, had a staff of more than 200.

Previous estimates have put the cost of Operation Stovewood at around £90 million.


Read More: World News | Entertainment News | Celeb News
Yorkshire

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

‘I Do What the Bible Tells Me’ — Grandma Celebrates 107th Birthday, Shares Key to Longevity

A South Carolina woman, who has witnessed some of the most significant…

Mayim Bialik’s Ousting From Jeopardy Has Everyone Saying The Same Thing

Araya Doheny/Getty Images “Big Bang Theory” star and “Jeopardy” host Mayim Bialik…

What We Know About Brock Purdy’s Girlfriend, Jenna Brandt

Like her boyfriend, Jenna Brandt has an interest in sports. Born in…

The Costume Simone Biles Doesn’t Want To See On Halloween

The controversy of the new Jeffrey Dahmer Netflix docuseries only got worse…