Keir Starmer ‘ready to deploy British troops in Ukraine’ ahead of meeting with EU leaders over Russia peace talks

PRIME Minister Keir Starmer has said he is willing to deploy British troops on the ground in Ukraine to enforce any peace deal.

It is the first time he has explicitly said he is considering putting British peacekeepers in Ukraine.

Portrait of Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer has announced he is considering putting British troops in Ukraine as peacekeepersCredit: PA

The announcement comes ahead of a meeting with European leaders in Paris on Monday.

Writing in The Telegraph, he said he had not taken the decision to consider putting British servicemen and women “in harm’s way” lightly.

European officials will meet on Monday following an urgent request from French President Emmanuel Macron regarding the exclusion of European leaders from initial peace discussions on Ukraine involving the US and Russia.

Senior members of Donald Trump’s administration have also signalled that US security support for Europe will be scaled back.

The PM’s move is likely to put pressure on allies to also publicly back the idea of a European peacekeeping force in war-torn Ukraine.

Starmer has also suggested that Britain could play a “unique role”, acting as a bridge between Europe and the US during the peace process in Ukraine.

Describing the situation as a critical juncture, Macron emphasized the gravity of the issue for Europe, highlighting it as a pivotal moment that requires significant attention. He pledged continuous financial support of £3 billion per year to Ukraine until 2030.

In addition to providing military assistance, Macron stated that Europe should be prepared to offer security assurances to Ukraine, including the deployment of European troops if deemed necessary.

The PM added: “I do not say that lightly. I feel very deeply the responsibility that comes with potentially putting British servicemen and women in harm’s way.

“But any role in helping to guarantee Ukraine’s security is helping to guarantee the security of our continent, and the security of this country.

“The end of this war, when it comes, cannot merely become a temporary pause before Putin attacks again.”

Starmer previously only hinted at the use of British troops for safeguarding in Ukraine after a ceasefire, but has now made this explicit message to confirm it.

The move was likely made to try and encourage both European allies and US President Trump to commit to deterring a future attack by Russia once peace has been negotiated.

US SUPPORT ‘CRITICAL’ TO ENSURING PEACE

The Prime Minister, who is due to visit Trump in Washington later this month, called US support “critical” to ensuring peace and security is long lasting in the region.

US administration representatives and their Russian counterparts are expected to meet on Monday in Saudi Arabia for talks, following Wednesday’s call between Trump and Putin.

But Ukrainian officials are not expected to be at the table at this stage, while other European leaders may not be involved in the peace negotiations at all.

Prime Minister Starmer has emphasised that Ukraine must be included at peace negotiations, warning that other nations risk validating Putin’s position that Ukraine is “not a real nation”.

He also harked back to the chaotic situation that unfolded when US troops left Afghanistan under former president Joe Biden, following a deal that Trump had struck with the Taliban.

The PM also restated his belief that Ukraine’s path to Nato membership is “irreversible” and also suggested squeezing Russia’s economy by going further on the cap on oil prices.

He also recommended the targeting the shadow fleet used to transport exports, sanctioning of oil giants, and taking of action against banks that enable the evasion of sanctions.

The Trump administration has demanded Europe to do more to pay for and provide its own security.

This has led to an increased pressure for greater defence spending across the continent.

On Monday, Keir Starmer will be joined by leaders from Germany, Italy, Poland, Spain, the Netherlands, and Denmark, alongside the presidents of the European Council and European Commission and the secretary general of Nato.

The Paris meeting, called by Emmanuel Macron, comes as President Trump called for defence spending to rise to 5 per cent of GDP.

However, Starmer is unlikely to go beyond his commitment to increase spending to just 2.5 per cent, amid calls from Nato chief Mark Rutte that allies should spend more than 3 per cent.

Speaking on Sunday, President Trump said “we’re moving along, we’re trying to get a peace with Russia and Ukraine and we’re working very hard on it” and he promised that Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelensky “will be involved”.

Sir Keir Starmer leaving 10 Downing Street.
The PM made the announcement ahead of a meeting with European leaders on MondayCredit: Getty
You May Also Like

Potential Risk for Americans as Real ID Deadline Approaches: Long DMV Lines and Travel Concerns Increase

Prepare for potential delays at airports as a new ID policy is…

Carrie Coon from White Lotus responds to Meghan McCain in heated disagreement about her Trump endorsement

The White Lotus star Carrie Coon has clapped back at Meghan McCain amid the…

Bus Driver Reveals Details about Virginia Giuffre’s Accident Involving Prince Andrew Accuser

THE bus driver involved in a crash which allegedly left Virginia Giuffre…

Shock Death in the Family Leaves Rod Stewart and Wife Penny Lancaster Devastated

Sir Rod Stewart and his family have been plunged into shock and…

Nancy Grace Secures Video of Suspect Transporting Miranda Corsette’s Body

Nancy Grace has exclusively obtained video footage from a neighbor showing suspect…

Wife in Maui Gets Protection Order Against Doctor Husband for Attacking Her with Rock and Trying to Push Her off Cliff

A physician’s wife in Hawaii is fighting back after her husband allegedly…

Upset Prince Harry promises to investigate Sentebale thoroughly to reveal the truth and criticizes false allegations of harassment and bullying made against him by the chairperson.

Prince Harry has expressed doubt over the integrity of Sentebale’s leader, implying…

Drug dealer confesses to causing explosion in Newcastle that resulted in deaths of seven-year-old boy and man in his 30s

A drug dealer has admitted killing a seven-year-old boy and a man…

Donald Trump announces measures to achieve economic independence by imposing a minimum 10% tax on all imported goods into the United States.

‘Not the act of a friend’: World leaders fuming over Trump tariffs…

PM cautions about economic consequences for UK jobs due to Trump’s trade dispute, with various industries such as automobiles, steel, pharmaceuticals, and fashion affected by a 10% tariff, resulting in stock market decline.

Keir Starmer warned of an ‘economic impact’ from Donald Trump’s extraordinary trade…

Counter-terrorism authorities caution parents to watch for indications that their child may be vulnerable to online radicalization following the release of Netflix series Adolescence.

Parents are being advised by Counter Terrorism officers to watch for indications…

US Tariffs Still Pose a Threat to the UK Economy, Says Andrew Neil

Keir Starmer’s compliance and specific pleas ultimately worked: Great Britain experienced less…