Revealed: How Mohamed Al Fayed faked dementia to dodge sex abuse probe, says his son - as police investigate Harrods owner's 'enablers'

Mohamed Al Fayed evaded prosecution by tricking police into believing he had dementia, one of his sons reveals today.

Omar Fayed, 37, revealed how his father’s deception enabled him to avoid being held accountable for his alleged sexual misconduct, which is now believed to have affected numerous women.

‘He managed to evade responsibility by claiming he was mentally unfit,’ Omar shared with The Mail on Sunday. However, the billionaire was not suffering from any cognitive impairment and was, in fact, incredibly sharp and aware.

Sources close to the matter informed this publication that Scotland Yard, which has been under scrutiny for its failure to prosecute the former Harrods owner, is exploring this startling revelation as part of its inquiry into individuals who may have aided him in carrying out the alleged offenses.

Lawyers for the victims describe Al Fayed as a predator on the scale of Jimmy Savile, Jeffrey Epstein and Harvey Weinstein.

His youngest son, a tech entrepreneur once set to inherit Harrods, makes the dementia claim in a wide-ranging interview in which he casts light on his father’s motives.

Omar, who was ‘horrified’ by the abuse claims, said he wished the ‘investigation had been able to take its course when he was still alive’ and suggests police missed an opportunity to prosecute when allegations emerged in 2017 and 2018, when his father was in his late 80s.

One woman – who claimed she was abused by Al Fayed and made a video statement to police in 2018 – was told that Al Fayed was too old to be prosecuted and that he was not in the right state of mind because of dementia.

Omar Fayed, 37, said the deception allowed his billionaire father (pictured together) to escape justice over his alleged sexual crimes, now thought to involve dozens of women

Omar Fayed, 37, said the deception allowed his billionaire father (pictured together) to escape justice over his alleged sexual crimes, now thought to involve dozens of women 

Omar Fayed (pictured) says he can now 'join the dots' about his billionaire Harrods tycoon father

Omar Fayed (pictured) says he can now ‘join the dots’ about his billionaire Harrods tycoon father

The billionaire Harrods tycoon, who died last year aged 94, was one of Britain's most notorious sex offenders

The billionaire Harrods tycoon, who died last year aged 94, was one of Britain’s most notorious sex offenders

His youngest son, a tech entrepreneur once set to inherit Harrods (pictured) makes the dementia claim in a wide-ranging interview in which he casts light on his father’s motives

His youngest son, a tech entrepreneur once set to inherit Harrods (pictured) makes the dementia claim in a wide-ranging interview in which he casts light on his father’s motives

In 2017 Al Fayed was the subject of an exposé by Dispatches, the Channel 4 programme. In it, he was accused of sexually harassing young employees, including a 17-year-old he recruited.

At the time, there was an unsuccessful attempt to prevent broadcast on the grounds that Al Fayed was mentally incapacitated.

Last night the documentary’s executive producer Tom Porter said: ‘We had our suspicions about whether the claim about illness was genuine but were unable to verify either way.’

Bravely waiving her right to anonymity, Cheska Hill-Wood, now 50, told the programme she was a 17-year-old aspiring actress who had recently completed a photoshoot as a debutante when she was approached ‘out of the blue’ to become Al Fayed’s junior personal assistant in 1993.

Al Fayed promptly told her that his eldest son Dodi, a film producer who died with Princess Diana in Paris four years later, might be able to help her acting career.

Ms Hill-Wood went to Al Fayed’s flat where he asked her to change into a swimming costume before he filmed her, allegedly so that his son could see her ‘shape’.

He then kissed her and, after she pushed him off, barked: ‘If you don’t sleep with me, I can’t help you.’ She then fled the flat and did not return to work for Al Fayed.

Ms Hill-Wood said yesterday: ‘Hearing that he faked illness to escape justice is appalling, but totally consistent with the behaviour of this despicable individual who believed he could act with impunity. It is deeply sad for the sake of so many women that he didn’t face justice when alive.’

She said the attempt to block the programme was a ‘disgrace’ adding: ‘The legal letter said he had dementia and that we should consider his grandchildren as they’re at school. But I remember thinking at the time that I wasn’t long out of school myself when he did what he did to me.’

Omar, centre, with his father Mohamed and sister Camilla at a fashion show in New York

Omar, centre, with his father Mohamed and sister Camilla at a fashion show in New York 

Omar his father Mohamed Al Fayed, who may have raped and abused more than 111 women over nearly four decades

Omar his father Mohamed Al Fayed, who may have raped and abused more than 111 women over nearly four decades

Cheska Hill-Wood went to Al Fayed’s flat where he asked her to change into a swimming costume before he filmed her, allegedly so that his son could see her ‘shape’

Cheska Hill-Wood went to Al Fayed’s flat where he asked her to change into a swimming costume before he filmed her, allegedly so that his son could see her ‘shape’

Lawyers for the victims describe Al Fayed as a predator on the scale of Jimmy Savile , Jeffrey Epstein and Harvey Weinstein

Lawyers for the victims describe Al Fayed as a predator on the scale of Jimmy Savile , Jeffrey Epstein and Harvey Weinstein

She said the Dispatches programme pulled no punches in its portrayal of Al Fayed but did not ignite the scandal in the same way as BBC documentary Al Fayed: Predator at Harrods did this September. ‘No doubt because by then Al Fayed was dead,’ she said. The tycoon died last year aged 94.

‘But women did come forward to the police after Dispatches, which was fantastic.’

Detectives launched a new criminal investigation last month after identifying more than five suspects who allegedly assisted the Harrods boss in carrying out ‘horrendous abuse’. It follows a surge of sex attack claims from a total of 111 victims, with the youngest said to be aged just 13.

Al Fayed was arrested in 2013 over a rape allegation, but never charged.

TV producer Keaton Stone, whose six-year investigation led to the BBC documentary, is among those who have publicly criticised the Met.

He was angry that officers declined to pursue his wife Sophia’s sexual assault case against Al Fayed in June 2021. Officers cited ill health as the reason Al Fayed was unfit to face charges.

Detectives are now investigating accusations of rape, sexual assault and trafficking spanning almost four decades, from 1977 to 2014.

An internal Met Police review is also being carried out into how the force handled claims about Al Fayed while he was alive, amid allegations of corruption and reports that officers were taking bribes to allow him to continue preying on Harrods staff.

In 2017 Al Fayed was the subject of an exposé by Dispatches, the Channel 4 programme. In it, he was accused of sexually harassing young employees, including a 17-year-old he recruited

In 2017 Al Fayed was the subject of an exposé by Dispatches, the Channel 4 programme. In it, he was accused of sexually harassing young employees, including a 17-year-old he recruited

Scotland Yard approached the Crown Prosecution Service on five occasions between 2005 and 2023 about Al Fayed, but in each case no charges were brought despite mounting concerns about predatory behaviour.

The Met declined to comment on the dementia claim but has said in a statement: ‘No criminal charges were brought against Al Fayed while he was alive and we recognise the impact this has had on many victims.

‘From the review so far, it is apparent that past investigations were extensive and conducted by specialist teams who sought charging decisions from the CPS on two occasions.

‘However, we know that contact with and support for some victims at the time could have been improved.

‘Only after completing this comprehensive review will we fully understand what could have been done differently.’

You May Also Like

Russia cautions that a war with Iran could lead to a disastrous outcome if the US attacks nuclear facilities while Trump and Israel plan strikes.

Russia has cautioned that a conflict between the western nations and its…

JCB, a major British company, is set to increase manufacturing in the US due to Trump’s trade tariffs

JCB has become the first major British manufacturer to say it will…

“Shocking Incident: Enormous Shark Bites ‘Mermaid’s’ Hand, Filling Aquarium Tank with Blood and Requiring 100 Stitches”

THIS is the terrifying moment a gargantuan shark bites an aquarium mermaid’s…

Upset Prince Harry promises to investigate Sentebale thoroughly to reveal the truth and criticizes false allegations of harassment and bullying made against him by the chairperson.

Prince Harry has expressed doubt over the integrity of Sentebale’s leader, implying…

Nancy Grace Secures Video of Suspect Transporting Miranda Corsette’s Body

Nancy Grace has exclusively obtained video footage from a neighbor showing suspect…

Parents of children involved in near-fatal crash with Virginia Giuffre, who accused Prince Andrew, speak out against her allegations

PARENTS of kids on the bus that hit Virginia Giuffre’s car have…

Trump reveals his brand new ‘Gold Card’ visa look for the first time with a very recognizable design

President Trump showcased a prototype of his newly designed $5 million gold…

Famous actor transforms into character Alex Murdaugh for new TV show role in a surprising change seen for the first time

Acclaimed actor Jason Clarke looked unrecognizable as he transformed into family killer Alex…

Legal team questions evidence leading to conviction of serial killer Lucy Letby, claiming jury was given false information leading to doubts about her guilt.

The new barrister representing Lucy Letby, who was found guilty of poisoning…

Wife of Beloved Doctor Faces Perilous Situation on Romantic Getaway

For her 36th birthday, anesthesiologist Gerhardt Konig surprises his wife, engineer Arielle,…

“Elton John Takes on Putin as Aids Charity Banned in Russia and Workers Face Prosecution”

SIR Elton John and Vladimir Putin were at war last night after…

Kim Kardashian contacts Bianca, Kanye’s ex-girlfriend, to offer support during a difficult time after their unexpected breakup.

Kim Kardashian has reportedly contacted pin-up Bianca Censori after learning she split from…