3 Members of Ohio Family Learn Their Fates After Guilty Pleas in Massacre of Another Family

Three members of an Ohio family were sentenced Friday for their roles in the 2016 massacre of eight members of another family.

In 2018, Angela Wagner, along with her mother Rita Newcomb, her husband George “Billy” Wagner III, and her two sons — Edward “Jake” Wagner and George Wagner IV — were accused of conspiring to and carrying out the killings of Jake Wagner’s ex-girlfriend, Hanna May Rhoden, and seven other members of her family and extended relatives.

Although Angela Wagner, Newcomb, and Jake Wagner had previously pleaded guilty to their involvement, it wasn’t until recently that they received their sentencing, as reported by the Dayton Daily News. During the sentencing, Judge Jonathan Hein surprised everyone by ripping up Jake Wagner’s plea deal and offering him the opportunity for parole.

Prior to this, Hein had already given Newcomb a five-year probation sentence for impeding the investigation, and Angela Wagner had been sentenced to 30 years behind bars, before her son’s case was brought before him for judgment.

“How do I resolve the good deal your mom got, especially since she could have stopped the whole thing dead in its tracks?” said Hein.

His mother pleaded guilty to conspiracy, aggravated burglary, tampering with evidence, forgery, unauthorized use of property, and unlawful possession of dangerous ordnance. In exchange, prosecutors dropped eight charges of aggravated murder and recommended 30 years in prison with no early release.

Hein said he couldn’t balance Angela Wagner’s sentence with the proposed sentence for her son — eight consecutive life sentences with no parole, the same sentence his brother George Wagner IV received after he was convicted at trial in 2022 — despite both cooperating with investigators. Jake Wagner even testified against his brother.

“How do I resolve the good deal that your mom got?” Hein said, according to Law&Crime. “Thirty years is a really long time; that’s a really good deal for the level of the conduct. Especially since she could have stopped the whole thing dead in its tracks before it ever happened. And I don’t let her off the hook because she didn’t go to the scene. I put her equally responsible because the eyes of the law put her equally responsible.”

Jake Wagner pleaded guilty to two gun charges and eight murder charges. Hein sentenced him to six years each on the gun charges and life on the murder charges, to be served concurrently, with the possibility of parole after 32 years.

“Because you cooperated. Because you did something to acknowledge the responsibility for the crime,” Hein said. “That’s not a deal, that’s as close as I can come to solving the problem that was handed to me by these ancient plea agreements.”

Prosecutors alleged that the slayings were motivated by a custody dispute between Jake Wagner and Hanna Rhoden, as CrimeOnline reported. The Wagners were allegedly trying to force Rhoden to sign an unfavorable custody agreement. In a Facebook post that was produced as evidence, Rhoden wrote, “(I’ll) never sign papers ever. They will have to kill me first.”

The Wagners allegedly planned the killings for months and then moved to Alaska afterward. They returned to Ohio a few months before their arrests.

The eight victims were all shot execution-style at three campers and a trailer on a property in Piketon. The victims were identified as Christopher Rhoden Sr, 40, and Dana Rhoden, 37; their three children, Hanna Rhoden, 19, Christopher Rhoden Jr, 16, and Frankie Rhoden, 20; Frankie’s fiancee, Hannah Gilley, 20; Christopher Sr’s brother, Kenneth Rhoden, 44; and a cousin, Gary Rhoden, 38. Two children — Hanna’s children — were not harmed.

The last defendant, Billy Wagner, 53, has pleaded not guilty. His trial has been repeatedly delayed because of appeals.

You May Also Like

“Heathrow Executives Alerted to Substation Issues Shortly Before Fire Led to Power Outage and Airport Shutdown”

Heathrow bosses were warned of potential substation failures just days before the…

Exclusive Video Footage: Suspect Caught Loading Teen’s Body after Luring Online

When Miranda Corsette loses both parents, she moves in with her grandmother…

Grieving families of four-year-old girl, mother, and man who died in fire at Grade-II listed house honor their memory with heartfelt tribute

The heartbroken families of a four-year-old girl, her mother, and a man…

USPS Chief Criticizes Potential Chaos Similar to Royal Mail After April 1 Change

USPS is heading down a troubling path that could mirror chaos experienced…

Sydney Sweeney allegedly cancels her engagement: What really happened.

Sydney Sweeney, the 27-year-old actress recognized for her work in popular series…

Tory peer and former Page of Honour to Queen Elizabeth II passes away at the age of 79 after a head injury

Lord Charles O’Hagan, godson of the late Queen Elizabeth II, has died…

Carrie Coon from White Lotus responds to Meghan McCain in heated disagreement about her Trump endorsement

The White Lotus star Carrie Coon has clapped back at Meghan McCain amid the…

Police investigating possible ‘murder-suicide’ after British couple Ben and Claire Anderson discovered deceased at their residence following relocation to New Zealand

COPS in New Zealand are probing a suspected murder-suicide after a British…

“Build-up of US Military Forces in Response to Iran: Aircraft Carrier, Stealth Bombers Prepared for Action”

DONALD Trump is massing a huge Iran strike force including moving the…

Mother and her 5- and 8-year-old daughters tragically killed by a driver who claimed to be possessed by evil during a collision as they were walking back home in NYC

A BRITISH mum and her two daughters were killed in a horror…

Shocking video shows ‘murderer’ looking directly at camera before ‘shooting Walgreens employee due to disdain for major drugstores’

SHOCKING footage shows a man who claimed to hate pharmacies allegedly shooting…

Tourists park a group of RVs on a popular scenic location despite warnings for residents to stay away, and the council promises to remove them

A group of travellers have parked a fleet of caravans on a…