Russian ‘shadow fleet’ oil tanker ‘under investigation’ as ANOTHER deep sea cable is damaged sparking fears of sabotage

A RUSSIAN oil tanker is reportedly being investigated for potential sabotage after another underwater cable was damaged in the Baltic Sea.

Finnish officials are investigating the Eagle S ship, which is part of the Russian “shadow fleet,” following an incident where the Estlink 2 underwater power cable malfunctioned on Christmas Day.

The EstLink 2 power cable
The EstLink 2 power cableCredit: East2West
Eagle S crude oil tanker sailing under the flag of the Cook Islands was seen passing over the cable
Eagle S crude oil tanker sailing under the flag of the Cook Islands was seen passing over the cableCredit: East2West
Russia could be behind the suspected sabotage attack
Russia could be behind the suspected sabotage attackCredit: Getty

The incident cut off the electricity connection between Finland and Estonia on Christmas Day.

With a transmission capacity is over 650 megawatts, the 170-kilometre-long cable is an important electricity transmission link for Finland and the Baltics.

And it could take a few months to repair the damage to the cable that was installed nearly a decade ago.

It’s the latest in a series of incidents in the region in which undersea cables appear to have been damaged.

Authorities are investigating if it was an act of sabotage by the Russians as the Eagle S was seen passing over the cable at the time of the incident, the Financial Times reports.

Police have reportedly boarded the tanker as part of their investigation.

Some reports say the Eagle S slowed down to a quarter of its speed a few minutes before it crossed Estlink 2. 

Meanwhile, a Hong Kong-registered tanker called Xin Xin Tian 2 also reportedly passed over the cable around the time the Estlink 2 outage occurred.

It is owned by logistics company Hainan Yangpu, part of the Torgmol group, which has close ties to Russia.

Finnish transmission system operator Fingrid representative Arto Pahkin said intentional malicious action has not been ruled out.

Russian 466ft cargo ship on secret mission for Putin sinks off coast of Spain after ‘explosion on board’

He said: “The possibility of vandalism cannot be ruled out. However, we are currently studying the situation as a whole and will inform you of the cause of the malfunction as soon as we know it.”

The Christmas Day incident appears to be the latest in a series of pipelines and cables being targeted in the Baltic Sea by foreign vessels.

Suspicions have focused on Chinese-linked vessels and an alleged hybrid war by Russia over several incidents involving Baltic undersea cables. 

It has now sparked fears of deliberate attacks on critical infrastructure between Nato countries.

Two data cables, one running between Finland and Germany, and the other between Lithuania and Sweden, were severed in November.

The 1,200km cable from Finland to Germany stopped working on Monday – less than a day after the 218 km long cable between Lithuania and Sweden’s Gotland Island went out of service.

The cable cutting happened in the same waterway where authorities previously probed potentially malicious incidents – including damage to a gas pipeline last year.

Finland and Germany said they were “deeply concerned about the severed undersea cable”.

The two countries added they were investigating “an incident [that] immediately raised suspicions of intentional damage”.

Authorities in Helsinki and Berlin also said Europe’s security is threatened by Russia’s war in Ukraine and “hybrid warfare by malicious actors”.

ACTS OF SABOTAGE?

Last year a subsea gas pipeline and several telecoms cables running along the bottom of the Baltic Sea were severely damaged in an incident raising alarm bells in the region.

Investigators of the 2023 cases in Finland and Estonia named a Chinese container ship that they believe dragged its anchor and caused the damage.

But they have not said whether the damage was accidental or intentional.

In 2022 the Nord Stream gas pipelines linking Russia to Germany in the Baltic Sea were destroyed by explosions in a case that remains under investigation by German authorities.

Tapio Frantti, a cybersecurity professor at the University of Jyväskylä, says the cable rupture between Finland and Germany was most likely purposeful rather than accidental – and that Russia could have enough motives for a planned disruption.

He told YLE: “If you look at this from the point of view of probability, then yes, this is on the side of intentionality.

“When a cable breaks, it raises questions as to why it happened [and] who might have a motive to do something like this.

“They [Russia] really seem to think that they have a special right to do such things. The motive for sabotage is usually that it’s done because it can be done.”

Frantti added that, while the implications of a single cable break are minor, it would be concerning if the act was found to be intentional.

He continued: “It comes to mind that this could be a practice for a larger-scale act if there is a need for that.”

The cable issues come just weeks after a Russian spy ship was caught lurking off the UK coast near pipelines and internet cables.

You May Also Like

Les Ferdinand shares his biggest career regret and how it continues to affect him

Former Newcastle and Spurs forward Les Ferdinand has revealed he’s had ‘many…

Shock Death in the Family Leaves Rod Stewart and Wife Penny Lancaster Devastated

Sir Rod Stewart and his family have been plunged into shock and…

Potential Risk for Americans as Real ID Deadline Approaches: Long DMV Lines and Travel Concerns Increase

Prepare for potential delays at airports as a new ID policy is…

Effect of Trump’s tariffs on British employment and the impact of Keir’s efforts in the US.

BRITAIN’S 10 per cent tariff hit is causing mixed feelings in the…

PM cautions about economic consequences for UK jobs due to Trump’s trade dispute, with various industries such as automobiles, steel, pharmaceuticals, and fashion affected by a 10% tariff, resulting in stock market decline.

Keir Starmer warned of an ‘economic impact’ from Donald Trump’s extraordinary trade…

“Shocking Incident: Enormous Shark Bites ‘Mermaid’s’ Hand, Filling Aquarium Tank with Blood and Requiring 100 Stitches”

THIS is the terrifying moment a gargantuan shark bites an aquarium mermaid’s…

Amazon makes a late attempt to acquire TikTok before app risks US ban if not severed from Chinese parent company

Reportedly, Amazon has entered a bid to buy TikTok at the eleventh…

Wife of Beloved Doctor Faces Perilous Situation on Romantic Getaway

For her 36th birthday, anesthesiologist Gerhardt Konig surprises his wife, engineer Arielle,…

Authorities Look through Area for Florida Woman Who Disappeared in the Previous Year

A search was conducted by the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office (PBSO)…

Carrie Coon from White Lotus responds to Meghan McCain in heated disagreement about her Trump endorsement

The White Lotus star Carrie Coon has clapped back at Meghan McCain amid the…

Legal team questions evidence leading to conviction of serial killer Lucy Letby, claiming jury was given false information leading to doubts about her guilt.

The new barrister representing Lucy Letby, who was found guilty of poisoning…

Kim Kardashian contacts Bianca, Kanye’s ex-girlfriend, to offer support during a difficult time after their unexpected breakup.

Kim Kardashian has reportedly contacted pin-up Bianca Censori after learning she split from…