A POPULAR beach is facing a summer shutdown – to allow for a £24million seafront regeneration.
The sanded Spanish hotspot will be fenced off in 200m sections as the local council performs the costly anti-coastal erosion project.
L’Arbre del Gos beach, by the city of Valencia in eastern Spain, will be hit by the closures from August 15, local media reported.
The beach provides an easy escape from city life – and is situated in an outstanding landscape, bordering the La Albufera Natural Park.
But now, along with three other beaches in the area, l’Arbre del Gos will be given a makeover to prevent its coastline eroding any further.
The hefty spruce-up job involves a total volume of sand of approximately 3 million cubic meters, with money for the project supplied by the European Recovery Fund.
Thankfully, officials at Valencia City Council say they hope to cause minimal disruption – by shutting off the sands in 200m increments.
Valencian mayor María José Catalá said work would be “done in sections” to have “the minimum affect and impact” on beachgoers.
It is hoped the work will be completed by September.
It follows a host of Spanish beach closures hitting Brits abroad.
Most read in The Sun
This Ibiza hotspot was recently closed amid fears of a deadly landslide.
The sands of s’Aigua Blanca were ruled a danger to the public following a week of powerful waves and stormy weather.
While another Spanish sunspot was shut over a murkier concern – high levels of faecal matter present in the water.
The contaminated Playa Es Pinet coastline even posed a risk of E. Coli and intestinal Enterococcus bacteria, the local Department of the Environment said.
The infected beach, in Sant Josep, in the southwest of the Spanish island, is now warding off bathers with a red flag while further tests on the water are carried out.
The unappealing incident follows the closure of another popular Spanish beach, in the port city of Alicante, last month – after bacteria of “faecal origin” was discovered.