TikTok ban deadline extended by Trump as Walmart ‘considers buying app’ after bids by Oracle and Amazon

PRESIDENT Donald Trump will sign an executive order to keep TikTok running in the United States for an additional 75 days.

The 11th-hour move comes as TikTok faced an April 5 deadline to either sell the video-sharing app to a US company or face a nationwide ban.

Donald Trump speaking at a microphone.
President Donald Trump speaking at the White House in Washington DC on March 28, 2025Credit: Getty
U.S. Vice President JD Vance in the Oval Office.
Vice President JD Vance listening to Trump deliver remarks in the White House on March 21, 2025Credit: Getty

The app experienced a temporary outage for its 135 million users on January 19. However, the ban that was proposed by Trump was postponed to April 5, granting TikTok a 75-day window to secure a buyer that is not of Chinese origin, failing which it would face prohibition due to national security apprehensions.

As the deadline of April 5 drew closer, Trump mentioned on Friday that he, along with his administration, has been diligently working on a resolution to preserve TikTok. He also stated that significant progress has been made by his team in this regard.

Trump expressed the need for further efforts to finalize the deal and ensure all essential authorizations are obtained. This necessity led to his decision to issue an Executive Order that would sustain the operations of TikTok for an additional 75 days, as declared in a post made on Truth Social.

“We hope to continue working in Good Faith with China, who I understand are not very happy about our Reciprocal Tariffs (Necessary for Fair and Balanced Trade between China and the U.S.A.!).

“This proves that Tariffs are the most powerful Economic tool, and very important to our National Security!

“We do not want TikTok to ‘go dark.’ We look forward to working with TikTok and China to close the Deal. Thank you for your attention to this matter!”

KILLED DEAL

A deal was said to be in place earlier this week, but it was reportedly scrapped after Trump announced his sweeping global tariffs on Wednesday.

TikTok’s Chinese parent company, ByteDance, called off the plan in response to Trump slapping China with a 34% tax, according to the New York Post.

Sources told the outlet the deal was “finalized” and ready for Trump to sign on Wednesday, just hours before he rolled out the new tariffs.

The slashed arrangement would’ve put ByteDance in a minority-ownership position and extended the Saturday deadline by four months to finish the paperwork.

Amazon’s Last-Minute Bid for TikTok Amid US Ban Threat

ByteDance acknowledged the negotiations for the first time with a statement on Friday.

“An agreement has not been executed,” the Beijing-based company said.

“There are key matters to be resolved. Any agreement will be subject to approval under Chinese law.”

BIDDING WAR

Trump’s extension comes as Walmart is now actively considering joining a group of investors to buy TikTok, according to ABC News.

Walmart’s renewed interest in the Beijing-owned platform was reportedly sparked by the news of Amazon’s bid to Vice President JD Vance and Secretary of Commerce Howard Lutnick.

Possible buyers of TikTok

Several huge companies and prominent business leaders have shown interest in buying TikTok to save it from being banned in the US.

Companies interested in TikTok include:

  • Amazon
  • Microsoft
  • Walmart
  • Oracle
  • Rumble

Entrepreneurs:

  • X owner Elon Musk
  • Shark Tank investor “Mr. Wonderful” Kevin O’Leary
  • Tech businessman Jesse Tinsley
  • Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt
  • Former Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick
  • OnlyFans founder Tim Stokely

The big box store was first interested in buying TikTok in 2020, ABC News reported.

Amazon’s offer came in the form of a letter addressed to Vance and Lutnick, according to The New York Times.

However, parties involved in the talks did not appear to be taking the e-commerce giant’s offer seriously, the outlet reported on Wednesday.

‘TREMENDOUS INTEREST’

Just days ago, Trump said he wasn’t worried about finding a new owner for the app.

“We have a lot of potential buyers,” Trump told reporters onboard Air Force One on Sunday.

“There’s tremendous interest in TikTok.”

He added, “I’d like to see TikTok remain alive.”

Trump said officials in his administration are dealing with four different groups interested in purchasing TikTok.

The president tapped Vance and National Security Adviser Michael Waltz to find a new approved buyer.

Tesla owner Elon Musk, who purchased X, then Twitter, for $44 billion in 2022, Los Angeles Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, and Shark Tank’s Kevin O’Leary are also being considered as potential suitors for TikTok.

Also in the mix are computer software behemoths Microsoft and Oracle.

The Deal requires more work to ensure all necessary approvals are signed, which is why I am signing an Executive Order to keep TikTok up and running for an additional 75 days.”

President Donald Trump

Meanwhile, popular YouTuber MrBeast, whose real name is Jimmy Donaldson, also proposed potentially purchasing the app.

A startup company operated by Tim Stokely, the founder of the adult content site OnlyFans, also threw its hat in the mix last week.

Stokely teamed up with the cryptocurrency foundation Hbar to submit an offer to buy TikTok, according to Reuters.

“Our bid for TikTok isn’t just about changing ownership, it’s about creating a new paradigm where both creators and their communities benefit directly from the value they generate,” RJ Phillips, the co-founder of the startup Zoop, told the outlet.

Zoop, which was co-founded by Phillips and Stokely in 2022, allows users to buy, sell, trade, and barter for what the platform calls “Digital Celebrity Collectibles.”

The platform is a way for fans to connect with their favorite celebrities and join exclusive communities in the metaverse.

Business analysts estimate a TikTok sale could be worth as much as $50 billion, according to Reuters.

The platform is home to roughly 135 million monthly users in the United States.

Illustration of the TikTok logo on a smartphone screen.
A TikTok logo displayed on a smartphoneCredit: Reuters
You May Also Like

Teacher Accused of Sexually Assaulting Student with Special Needs Had a ‘Memoir’ About Student on Phone

An Illinois special education teacher who is married is facing accusations of…

What happened between Catherine and Omar from Love Island – why did they split? Uncovering the truth behind their breakup

Viewers of Love Island were thrilled to see Catherine Agbaje and Omar…

Bri Stern, a model, claims her ex-boyfriend, Andrew Tate, made frightening threats on the night he allegedly nearly choked her unconscious during sex.

After displays of constant affection and a ‘loving’ 10-month relationship, Brianna ‘Bri’…

Trump administration officials attempt to assist UK anti-abortion advocates as protester is found guilty of violating restricted area laws

There are reports that the White House is interested in supporting more…

“Emily in Paris Season 5: Will the Show Move to Rome? Creator Reveals Next Filming Location”

“Emily in Paris” fans have been filled with both excitement and a…

YouTuber Detained for Two Weeks After Giving Poisoned Coke Can to Remote Tribe

THE YouTuber who gave a can of Coke to the world’s deadliest…

Bri Stern, Andrew Tate’s former partner, claims influencer made alarming threats after an incident of intimate violence.

ANDREW Tate’s ex-girlfriend Bri Stern has said the twisted influencer made chilling…

Witness the arrest of a cult leader claiming to be an alien named Great Shaman in Argentina

THIS is the moment a Russian rape cult leader who called himself…

Russell Brand faces charges in Florida after expressing his intention to go back to the UK to address rape and assault claims.

COMEDIAN Russell Brand was yesterday charged with rape and sexual assaults against…

Get to Know Captain Brock Horner from Tarpon Coast Fishing Charter

A VIDEO showing an Army veteran appearing to threaten a young fisherman…

Learn about Nathan from MAFS UK and his girlfriend Abi Moores to discover more about their relationship

Nathan Campbell and Abi Moores, famous personalities from reality TV shows MAFS…

“Discovery of Mass Grave at Train Station Reveals Dozens of Skeletons Bound at Feet and Hands”

CONSTRUCTION workers got a shock when they started pulling body parts from…