Crypto boss eats banana art he bought for $6m, as promise to distraught seller who sold fruit for 35c backfires

A cryptocurrency executive made headlines when he decided to consume a $6.2 million banana artwork that he had bought, and declared his intention to acquire an additional 100,000 pieces of fruit from the same artist.

The artist, a 74-year-old fruit vendor named Shah Alam, expressed concerns about the feasibility of fulfilling such a large order, stating it would be extremely challenging to source that many bananas and that the profit margin would be minimal.

Sun made headlines around the world when he became the successful bidder on ‘Comedian’ by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan last week.

The piece, which was dubbed the ‘most expensive piece of fruit in the world’, featured a 35 cent banana duct taped to a wall. 

Alam sold the fruit to Cattelan for 35 cents from his cart outside Sotheby’s auction house in New York. 

He was distraught to learn how much the low-cost item fetched when it went under the hammer.

Despite Alam’s worries, the crypto boss, Justin Sun, reassured him by stating that he would buy tens of thousands more bananas and give them away for free worldwide through his platform until supplies ran out.

But Alam, who earns $12 an hour for his 12 hour days and lives in a shared house with five other men, told the New York Times: ‘There is not any profit in selling bananas’.

The net profit of the purchase would work out to be $6,000 and would prove very difficult to orchestrate since they are sold in boxes of 100, Alam added.

He also explained that any profit would go to the stand’s owner, Mohammad R. Islam, 53, who did offer to split any pay day but said he had yet to be approached.

‘It’s definitely an inequality,’ Islam’s brother Mohammad Alam Badsha said of the potential sale.

A GoFundMe has since been set up for Alam which has raised more than $6,000 so far. 

Sun purchased the artwork for $6.2 million including auction house fees.

At one of Hong Kong’s priciest hotels, he gobbled up the banana in front of dozens of journalists and influencers after giving a speech hailing the work as ‘iconic’ and drew parallels between conceptual art and cryptocurrency.

‘It’s much better than other bananas,’ Sun said after getting his first taste. ‘It’s really quite good.’

Sun was among seven people vying for the piece said he felt ‘disbelief’ in the first 10 seconds after he won the bid, before realising ‘this could become something big’.

In the 10 seconds after that, he decided he would eat the banana.

 ‘Eating it at a press conference can also become a part of the artwork’s history,’ he said Friday.

The debut of the edible creation at the 2019 Art Basel show in Miami Beach sparked controversy and raised questions about whether it should be considered art — Cattelan’s stated aim.

And Sun on Friday compared conceptual art like ‘Comedian’ to NFT art and decentralised blockchain technology.

‘Most of its objects and ideas exist as (intellectual property) and on the internet, as opposed to something physical,’ he said.

Sun this week also became an advisor to World Liberty Financial, a crypto initiative backed by US president-elect Donald Trump, following a $30 million investment.

He earlier wrote on social media platform X that he was ‘excited to help make crypto great again in the US’ with Trump’s leadership.

On Friday Sun denied that the investment, which made him the largest investor in the project, was an attempt to influence Trump or American politics. But Sun said he is ‘apolitical’.

‘Me (serving) as advisor also contribute a lot of value… I can be a great bridge for traditional financial and the (decentralised finance) industry.’

The 34-year-old crypto businessman was last year charged by the US Securities and Exchange Commission with fraud and securities law violation in relation to his crypto project Tron.

Sun has rejected the allegations and the case is ongoing.

You May Also Like
Netflix staff working on Meghan Markle's As Ever launch admit: 'We're already over it'

Netflix employees working on the launch of Meghan Markle’s As Ever series confess they are already feeling tired of it.

According to an insider speaking to MailOnline, employees at Netflix who are…
Chinese national smuggled illegal immigrants to American territory as US sees influx from adversary

Chinese National Smuggles Illegal Immigrants into US amid Rising Adversary Activity

A Chinese national has been sentenced to federal prison for exploiting a…
Budget-Busting Climate Provisions in the Inflation Reduction Act Must Go

Remove Expensive Climate Measures from the Bill to Lower Inflation

By  President Joe Biden and congressional Democrats capitalized on the public’s concern…
Israeli military operation in Gaza expanding to seize 'large areas': 'Expanding to crush and clean the area'

– Israeli Military Operation in Gaza: Expansion to Secure Large Areas

Israel’s Defense Minister Israel Katz announced an expansion of the military offensive…
Karen Read judge sued over 'buffer zone' keeping protesters away from courthouse

Lawsuit Filed Against Judge Karen Over Keeping Protesters Away from Courthouse

Four protesters have filed a lawsuit against Judge Beverly Cannone concerning a…
Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson announces Cook County Commissioner Anthony Joel Quezada for 35th Ward alderman pick

“Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson Endorses Anthony Joel Quezada for 35th Ward Alderman”

In Chicago, Mayor Brandon Johnson has chosen Cook County Commissioner Anthony Joel…
Covenant School trans shooter plotted Nashville attack for years, kept notebooks with plans: final report

“Final Report: Shooter at Covenant School Had Been Planning Nashville Attack for Years and Kept Detailed Notebooks with Plans”

A homemade shirt made by Audrey Hale and found in her bedroom.…
2 Jewish students file lawsuit against Chicago's DePaul University for negligence after Lincoln Park campus attack

Lawsuit Filed by 2 Jewish Students Against DePaul University for Negligence Following Attack on Lincoln Park Campus

CHICAGO (WLS) — Max Long and Michael Kaminsky were blindsided in an…
'Star Wars: Tales of the Underworld' brings back legendary bounty hunter and former Sith assassin 

‘Revisit the Legendary Bounty Hunter in “Star Wars: Stories from the Underworld”‘

LOS ANGELES — Are you a fan of Star Wars and looking…
Tourist vanishes after leaving Utah airport to backpack in mountains

Tourist goes missing after leaving Utah airport to hike in mountains

Authorities in Utah are searching for a missing tourist visiting from Finland…
'Oklahoma City Bombing: One Day in America': New National Geographic docuseries gives unprecedented look at tragedy

New National Geographic series explores the Oklahoma City bombing in detail

PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) — Thirty years ago, the deadliest act of domestic terrorism…
Kidney donor Jose Gregorio Gonzalez detained by ICE hopes to save brother Jose Alfredo Pacheco of Berwyn, Illinois

ICE detains kidney donor Jose Gregorio Gonzalez in hopes of saving his brother Jose Alfredo Pacheco in Berwyn, Illinois.

BERWYN, Ill. — A man with 100% kidney failure is fighting to…