TikTok Influencers from across the world react to US ban as app 'goes dark' for its 170million American users

In response to the US ban on TikTok, influencers from various countries have shared their reactions, while American users have expressed their dismay over the Supreme Court’s decision. 

Following the Supreme Court’s ruling allowing the ban, the Chinese-owned video platform has ceased operations for its 170 million American users, leading to widespread disappointment among content creators in the US. 

Despite the somber mood among American influencers dealing with the loss of their audience, earnings, and careers, users from other parts of the globe have taken a different approach by posting humorous memes to humorously address the ban. 

One video captioned ‘British creators to TikTok when it is banned in the US’ shows British soldiers victoriously marching and waving their country’s flag. 

In another jokey clip, a man is seen dancing and singing ‘look at me’ in light of the US ban. 

A third video captioned ‘going to sleep tonight knowing that US won’t be here tomorrow’ shows a woman pretending to cry herself to sleep to a humorous sobbing sound. 

Meanwhile, those in the US shed more tears ahead of the ban last night, with some claiming their entire livelihoods have been snatched from them. 

Emily Senn, who boasted 348,000 followers on the app, uploaded an emotional clip revealing how the platform helped her through losing her job and getting a divorce. 

‘To the US government, I’m never forgiving you for this,’ she said. 

‘And I’m never going to trust you ever again because you, just like that, took away millions of people’s incomes and livelihoods. Who does that?’ 

She added: ‘I feel so dumb coming on the internet and crying about an app, but the fact is this is this has been a sense of community for me for years now, and it got me through really, really hard times in my life. 

‘The pandemic, losing my job, all of that. Getting divorced, all of this c*** that’s happened to me in the last five years since I’ve been on here. Hours and hours and hours of time I put into creating stuff for this platform.’ 

Another influencer, who goes by the username ‘chloebuffcakes’ and has 2.5 million followers, posted a teary clip mourning the loss of the platform.   

‘I’m not crying – I’m just watching the life and community I built be torn down,’ she said. 

‘An app that has given millions of women financial independence and supported seven million small businesses. Where I shared losing my mom to brain cancer and became financially able to raise my 7-year-old sister.’ 

The court issued its decision on Friday after TikTok argued a law banning the popular video streaming app violated users First Amendment rights.

‘We conclude that the challenged provisions do not violate petitioners’ First Amendment rights,’ the country’s highest court wrote in its decision, which reaffirming an appeals court ruling.

Earlier this year, Congress passed a law banning TikTok unless its Chinese parent company ByteDance sells its stakes by January 19, 2025. But after months, no deal materialized.

Some 170 million Americans use the video app, and some warned that banning the platform would disrupt the business and livelihoods of millions.

The fate of the platform now rests on an intervention from incoming President Donald Trump. 

Addressing rumours of a TikTok ban in the UK, Chief Secretary to the Treasury Darren Jones told the BBC’s Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg: ‘We always keep all of these technology issues under consideration, whether it’s for national security or data privacy concerns.

‘We have laws in place and processes to do that. We have no plans right now to ban TikTok from the UK.

‘So, we won’t be following the same path that the Americans have followed unless or until at some point in the future there is a threat that we are concerned about in the British interest.’

At that point, Mr Jones suggested a review could be carried out.

‘On Government devices, for example, we’ve not been allowed to use TikTok for many years, the last Conservative government took the same position because there’s sensitive information on those devices,’ he said. 

‘But for consumers who want to post videos of their cats or dancing, that doesn’t seem like a national security threat to me.’

You May Also Like
Karen Read jury selection: Dozens in pool already have an opinion on the case

Investigation into town police in Karen Read case reveals no evidence of ‘conspiracy to frame’ girlfriend of slain officer

An independent agency, as part of an audit ordered last year, did…
Heartbreaking detail in snap of tornado-ravaged Arkansas town as twisters kill six across US

Severe tornadoes claim six lives in the US, revealing heartbreaking aftermath in Arkansas town

After the tornadoes wreaked havoc in Arkansas, the affected counties are now…
Cubs opening day: Wrigleyville community preparing for Chicago Cubs home opener baseball game at Wrigley Field

“Wrigleyville Gears Up for Chicago Cubs’ Home Opener at Wrigley Field”

CHICAGO (WLS) — The Chicago Cubs finally have their home opener Friday…
Trump fires staff of 'idiot' adviser embroiled in Signal scandal after urging by controversial MAGA influencer

Trump dismisses team of ‘foolish’ advisor linked to Signal controversy following recommendation from a polarizing MAGA figure

President Donald Trump has fired several members of his National Security Council team.…
Donald Trump demands France 'Free Marine Le Pen' and brands her presidential election ban a 'witch hunt'

Donald Trump calls for the release of Marine Le Pen in France and criticizes her presidential election disqualification as a ‘witch hunt’.

President Donald Trump expressed his backing for Marine Le Pen, the far-right…
Suspect in fatal Tennessee hit-and-run shared victim's daughter's plea for answers on social media

Person believed to be responsible for deadly hit-and-run in Tennessee posted daughter’s request for information on social platforms

A fatal hit-and-run suspect in Tennessee allegedly shared social media posts about…
Brittany Hill case: Michael Washington, Eric Adams guilty for killing Chicago mother as she held her baby in 2019

Two men found guilty of killing a Chicago mother while she was holding her baby in 2019: Brittany Hill case

CHICAGO (WLS) — Two men were found guilty of killing a mother…
Pulitzer Prize winner's parting words as he abruptly quits The Washington Post after slamming Jeff Bezos

“Pulitzer Prize Winner Resigns from The Washington Post Following Criticism of Jeff Bezos”

A Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist has become the latest to leave The Washington…
Anna Wintour stuns Vogue and Vanity Fair staffers at all-in meeting revealing shock move

Surprise Announcement by Anna Wintour Leaves Vogue and Vanity Fair Employees Stunned

Anna Wintour shocked her team when she unexpectedly became emotional during a…
Illinois homeschool bill would create a 'pipeline to the criminal justice system for parents': Dem lawmaker

Democratic lawmaker claims Illinois homeschool legislation could lead to parents being funneled into the criminal justice system.

A proposed legislation in Illinois has the potential to bring about significant…
University of South Carolina student, 21, killed in hit-and-run crash involving illegal immigrant: DHS

DHS: Illegal immigrant involved in hit-and-run that killed 21-year-old South Carolina student

A hit-and-run incident near the University of South Carolina claimed the life…
Chicago weather: Dolton recovering from flooding, severe storms amid transition from Tiffany Henyard to Mayor-elect Jason House

Recovery Underway in Dolton from Flooding and Severe Storms During Leadership Transition to Mayor-elect Jason House

CHICAGO (WLS) — Some parts of the Chicago area are still drying…