Secretary of State Marco Rubio and the U.S. ambassador to NATO, Matthew Whitaker, have convened in Brussels on Thursday for discussions that are eagerly anticipated by allies seeking clarity on the future U.S. stance in Europe.
Rubio’s visit is significant against the backdrop of growing apprehension among European allies and Canada regarding President Donald Trump’s approach towards closer ties with Russian President Vladimir Putin, who views NATO as a potential adversary. Recent statements from the White House, combined with disparaging remarks aimed at not only NATO member countries but also at the alliance itself, have triggered concerns and bewilderment.
The situation is further complicated by the introduction of new tariffs by Trump that impact both allies and adversaries of the United States. Just before Rubio’s arrival, Trump signed an executive order mandating a minimum tariff rate of 10% on all imports.
Since Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth warned last month that U.S. security priorities lie elsewhere — in Asia and on the U.S.’s own borders — Europeans have waited to learn how big a military drawdown in Europe could be and how fast it may happen.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio boards his plane at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, on Wednesday, April 2, 2025, en route to NATO in Belgium. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
In Europe and Canada, governments are working on “burden shifting” plans to take over more of the load, while trying to ensure that no security vacuum is created if U.S. troops and equipment are withdrawn from the continent.
These allies are keen to hear from Rubio what the Trump administration’s intentions are and hope to secure some kind of roadmap that lays out what will happen next and when, so they can synchronize planning and use European forces to plug any gaps.

Banners outside of NATO headquarters in Brussels, Belgium. (Reuters/Yves Herman)
Newly confirmed U.S. ambassador to NATO Matt Whitaker said the alliance “will be stronger and more effective than ever before” under Trump’s leadership.
“I believe that a robust NATO can continue to serve as a bedrock of peace and prosperity,” Whitaker said in a statement, adding: “NATO’s vitality rests on every ally doing their fair share.”

U.S. Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth holds his closing press conference at the end of defense ministers’ meetings at NATO headquarters on Feb. 13, 2025, in Brussels, Belgium. (Omar Havana/Getty Images)
Whitaker affirmed the U.S. commitment to NATO’s collective security guarantee, which says that an attack on any ally must be considered an attack on them all, but that his brief would also be to encourage Europe to lead on “peace, security, and the rebuilding of Ukraine.”
Whitaker also said that allies should demonstrate that NATO takes threats from China seriously.