Exonerated woman awarded $34M after jury finds Las Vegas police fabricated evidence in 2001 killing
  • Lobato expressed uncertainty about whether becoming a millionaire could compensate for the years spent in prison. She also mentioned that she has no clarity on what her future holds and what the upcoming years will look like for her.

    The civil trial jury found Las Vegas police and two detectives, now retired, fabricated evidence during their investigation and intentionally inflicted emotional distress upon Lobato. The panel determined that Lobato should receive $34 million in compensatory damages from the department and $10,000 in punitive damages from each former detective.

    The detectives, Thomas Thowsen and James LaRochelle, and their attorney, Craig Anderson, declined to comment outside court. Anderson told U.S. District Judge Richard Boulware he planned to file additional court documents following the verdict. Anderson said Friday an appeal was “likely.”

    Kirstin Lobato smiles widely outside of the Lloyd George U.S. Courthouse in Las Vegas with her attorneys Elizabeth Wang and David Owens.

    Kirstin Lobato smiles outside the Lloyd George U.S. Courthouse in Las Vegas with her attorneys, Elizabeth Wang and David Owens, on Dec. 12, 2024. (K.M. Cannon/Las Vegas Review-Journal via AP)

    The department previously agreed to pay damages if the jury ruled in Lobato’s favor.

    Lobato was 18 when she was interviewed by police without an attorney, arrested and charged with killing Duran Bailey in Las Vegas in July 2001. Bailey, who had been homeless, was found dead near a trash bin with a slashed neck, cracked skull and missing genitals.

    No physical evidence or witnesses connected Lobato to the killing, and she maintained she never met Bailey. But police maintained she confessed in jail that she had killed a man who tried to rape her during a three-day methamphetamine binge.

    Lobato was 19 when she was convicted of murder in 2002. The Nevada Supreme Court threw out that verdict and Lobato’s prison sentence in 2004 because her lawyers weren’t able to cross-examine a prosecution witness who testified that Lobato made the jailhouse confession.

    Lobato was tried again in 2006, convicted of manslaughter, mutilation and weapon charges, and sentenced to 13 to 45 years in prison.

    She was exonerated and freed from prison in late 2017 after the Innocence Project and attorneys in Las Vegas again took her case to the state Supreme Court. Justices said evidence showed that Lobato was in her hometown of Panaca, Nevada, some 150 miles from Las Vegas when Bailey was killed.

    Last October, a state court judge in Las Vegas issued a certificate declaring Lobato innocent of Bailey’s killing.

    That action was challenged by Clark County Sheriff Kevin McMahill and Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson in a letter asking state Attorney General Aaron Ford to investigate how and why attorneys for Lobato acquired the certificate of innocence.

You May Also Like
The full truth about Elon Musk's DOGE exit revealed by White House insiders: Why Trump is 'highly disappointed'... and 'Ice Maiden' Susie Wiles's relentless vendetta

Insiders at the White House share details on Elon Musk’s departure from DOGE: Trump expresses deep disappointment, while Susie Wiles continues her relentless pursuit.

The White House is working aggressively to refute a shocking report claiming…
Val Kilmer’s life in photos before his death at 65

A look back at Val Kilmer’s life through pictures before passing away at 65

Val Kilmer, the Hollywood film star who starred in “Top Gun” and…
Karen Read jury selection: Dozens in pool already have an opinion on the case

“Karen Reviewing Jury Selection: Many Candidates Already Formed Opinions on the Case”

Jury selection began on Tuesday for the second trial of Karen Read,…
GOP senator's brutal four-word take down of HHS worker complaining about being fired

Republican Senator delivers harsh four-word response to Health and Human Services employee upset about termination

A GOP senator was recently confronted about the Trump administration’s mass layoffs…
South Carolina deaths of former Bloomberg executive, wife and daughter leave neighbors perplexed

Former Bloomberg Executive, Wife, and Daughter’s Deaths in South Carolina Leave Neighbors Confused

The neighbors of a South Carolina family found dead in their home…
Canada's PM Carney vows to ‘fight’ Trump’s tariffs, other world leaders weigh impact

Canadian Prime Minister Carney pledges to ‘battle’ against Trump’s tariffs, while other global leaders assess the consequences

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney expressed determination on Wednesday to combat the…
Illegal immigrant who allegedly escaped Colorado ICE site during power outage captured on bus

Undocumented migrant reportedly caught after fleeing Colorado ICE facility during power loss

The second illegal immigrant who allegedly escaped from a Colorado detention center…
Bonnie Blue reveals next eye-watering sex stunt... but it may be physically impossible to achieve

Bonnie Blue shares her latest jaw-dropping sexual feat… but it might be too challenging to actually do

Controversial OnlyFans sensation Bonnie Blue is getting ready to take on her…
Israeli military operation in Gaza expanding to seize 'large areas': 'Expanding to crush and clean the area'

– Israeli Military Operation in Gaza: Expansion to Secure Large Areas

Israel’s Defense Minister Israel Katz announced an expansion of the military offensive…
National Burrito Day 2025: How to score free food from Chipotle, QDOBA, Moe's, and more

How to get free food from Chipotle, QDOBA, Moe’s, and other restaurants on National Burrito Day 2025

Fans nationwide can celebrate National Burrito Day at one of several beloved…
NANCY GRACE was so disturbed by bride-to-be's 'suicide' that she launched an investigation. Her findings were more chilling than she ever imagined

Nancy Grace investigates bride-to-be’s ‘suicide’ and uncovers shocking truths

I remember the first photo I saw of Ellen Greenberg with her…
Grim news for Morning Joe as young viewers desert Mika and Joe in droves

Young Viewers Turning Away from Morning Joe with Mika and Joe in Large Numbers

MSNBC’s ‘Morning Joe’ lost in the sought-after 25-54 demographic to CNN’s ‘News Central’…