One of the biggest stories of the summer transfer window so far has been that Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave Manchester United, less than a year after rejoining the club, but it appears that the Red Devils won’t let him go without a fight.
The Portuguese forward wants to play Champions League football in the coming season, and while United cannot offer him that, they are determined to persuade him to stay.
The 37-year-old is yet to report for pre-season training, with the story being that he has been given extended leave for family reasons. New coach Erik Ten Hag has said he expects him to be in his squad this season.
“He’s not with us, it’s due to personal issues,” said Ten Hag in Thailand on Tuesday morning.
“We are planning with Cristiano Ronaldo for this season. I’m looking forward to working with him.
“I spoke with him before this issue came up. I had a conversation him and had a real good talk.”
Ronaldo impressed by club’s efforts
Part of Manchester United‘s bid to keep Ronaldo is to bolster their squad and increase the quality around him at Old Trafford.
The Times have reported that Ronaldo is gradually being won over by the work being done by the new head coach and directors John Murtough and Richard Arnold.
The club have lost Paul Pogba this summer but are confident of landing Lisandro Martinez and have stepped up their quest to sign Frenkie de Jong.